Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modelling Data Cables

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
NicholasWard
2222 Views, 7 Replies

Modelling Data Cables

I've been asked to incorporate data cabling into a Revit model but can't find any way of actually representing it. The system I need to document is a combined fibre-optic/Cat 6 network, with three different fibre systems in place. Placing the conduit/raceway for this is fairly simple but even if I make a new Electrical Wire type to appear to be fibre, I can't actually place it in the conduit.

Has anyone else tried to draw data network plans? Any help at all would be very helpful.

-Nick

jboone
in reply to: NicholasWard

Have you considered cable tray?  I think you should look at it if you can.

Message 3 of 8
NicholasWard
in reply to: jboone

Sorry, by raceway I meant cable tray. It's just the fibre term for it. I can draw cable tray but wires don't actually associate with it. Also, using electrical wires to represent fibre would ultimately be a very bad solution because the model will eventually have electrical distribution included in it too. Is there any way of making an entirely new family of "wires" that I can at least schedule separately?

You can duplicate wire types to make news ones. Will making a type for Fibre help?

Or try adding a project parameter to the wires & filtering by that.

Message 5 of 8
ouassilnass

Hello,

Did you find a solution for modelling Data Cables?

Thank you for your answer.

Message 6 of 8
abulla
in reply to: ouassilnass

Wires act as Annotation Object and won't show up in any 3d views anyway. You can create new wire types as previously suggested, but it will be quite tedious. 

Message 7 of 8
ouassilnass
in reply to: abulla

Thanks for your answer, I'll try.

Message 8 of 8
s.borello

Revit doesn't model wire... they are annotative only.  Not sure what you want to model.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report