Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modeling Question

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
RickGraham
574 Views, 5 Replies

Modeling Question

If I was to try to model a Krueger Series DMD Grille - that will go into the side of round ducts and can be possiblibly rotated central to the round duct, how would I go about that? The Krueger DMD is a flush to duct rounded grille exceptig for the bullet part. I don't think I can mount it directly to the side of the round duct without some other duct, but then is won't be really flush to the duct. My endgame is to make it attach to the the duct. Right Now we have a quasi-family that we just butt up against the round duct (i.e. not connected). It looks fine in plan view, but when I have to move the duct, then the grilles have to be moved too.

Just trying to to do the right thing. And no, Krueger makes pretty much every other Revit family except for the DMD series. 🙂 And the owner *wants* that model. Thanks for any response.

Rick

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
AVysotskiy
in reply to: RickGraham

Hi Rick,

I think that is perfect solution for you is to use Air Terminal on Duct command and place Default family:

2014-01-21_154029.png

Then edit this family to make geometry looks like Series DMD. You can even create embed family of DMD geometry and insert to Duct family to have a possibility of its rotation.

Alexander Vysotskiy
CEO of Vysotskiy consulting | BIM trainer | University lecturer
Free BIM training courses (Russian only)
Facebook | VK | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 6
RickGraham
in reply to: AVysotskiy

I NEVER knew that one was in there. Thanks so much! So the million dallor question is if I were to start modeling from scratch and wanted that type, which of the templates would I use?

But thanks again.

Rick

Message 4 of 6
SteveKStafford

Well, it's new in 2014 so maybe it just slipped past you... 🙂

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 6
RickGraham
in reply to: SteveKStafford

That it did. 🙂

Rick

Message 6 of 6
AVysotskiy

Hi Rick,

I'm glad that my idea helped you.

I done the consept (just working sketch) of this type of air terminal:

2014-01-22_104648.png

How I create that?

At first, I made family based on Generic Model Template. As I said in previos post, this family contains just a geometry of the Air Terminal and parameters to set the angle:

2014-01-22_105219.png

Then I loaded this familly into default supply air terminal and placed it in preferred position, modified connector:

2014-01-22_105430.png

And finaly I updated air terminal family in the project.

Of course, there is no geometry parameters, no visibility settings, no alignment, but I hope that this file helps you to understand my vision and create your own fine family.

Here's the Revit project.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16930003/Krueger_Series_DMD_Grille.rvt

Alexander Vysotskiy
CEO of Vysotskiy consulting | BIM trainer | University lecturer
Free BIM training courses (Russian only)
Facebook | VK | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report