Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Text on FCU

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
chunky2k
954 Views, 3 Replies

Model Text on FCU

Hello everyone

i have question, i have created an FCU unit, made supply and return duct connection

i want to use "model text" to write on the top of the FCU (i want to right the FCU reference number as G-02 and the model as ARG30 by using TAG option)

so at any time i want to create a callout for a machine it would directly show info direcly

and for sure it would look much better.

i tried to use it inside the MEP drawing and it is not working at all, can place it and even can use pick a plane to insert it there

and of course i cant use it while creating a family since i have more than 30 FCU and i cant create 30 different family !!

is there a way to do so ?

regards !! 🙂

Variable Integrated Package L.L.C
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: chunky2k

Model Text in itself can be quite unstable, so I would suggest creating that as a separate Face-Based Family and then loading that into your equipment families. That way you can better constrain it, as raw Model Text will sometimes be very or utterly uncooperative.

Another possible fault with Model Text is that it cannot be blank, and if tied to a Text Parameter that is such, it won't be able to create that Type. This can be especially bad if you were to link the Model Text to an Instance Parameter that already exists in the Project - if any of those existing values are blank, then the Family will not be able to load into the Project.

When building the Model Text Family, create a new Text Parameter (Type), select the Model Text, and link it Contents to said parameter using the grey button beside it under Properties. Once loaded into the equipment family, place and select an instance of the Model Text Family and go to Type Properties. There you will be able to link the previously created Text file to a Text Parameter in the equipment Family (namely, the parameter that identifies the equipment) in the same manner as before.

My other recommendations are to create a Yes/No Parameter to control the Model Text Family's Visibility, so you can hide it if need be, and to hide the Model Text when Viewing it from the sides: Within the Model Text Family, select the Model Text and go to Visibility Graphics Overrides under Properties. In the following dialog, uncheck the boxes for "Front/Back" and "Left/Right".

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
chunky2k
in reply to: CoreyDaun

thanks for the reply
and huge thanks for your help

it really sounds not a good idea to do it, although it would be nice

i will try it and see how things would go
Variable Integrated Package L.L.C
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
Message 4 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: chunky2k

I wouldn't say that it's a bad idea; you just have to be aware of the potential problems. I use Model Text in this way to label my electrical panels and the only time it would be a problem is if I wanted the Panel Name to be blank, but that situation has not arisen, yet.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report