Revit MEP

tom.robson
Message 1 of 4 (533 Views)

Masking regions within families or nested generic annotations won't mask pipes

533 Views, 3 Replies
08-25-2013 11:54 PM

Hi, I know theres been numerous posts about the problems associated with masking regions  in the past and I've searched through many of these to no avail. So really hoping someone on here is able to help me find a solution.

I'm currently documenting the fire sprinkler systems for a project in Revit MEP 2013, I'd like for my sprinkler family to mask the pipework & fittings behind the sprinkler annotation. 

I have nested a generic annotation family within mysprinkler family. I've also tried putting the masking region directly into the sprinkler family and neither of these options seem to mask the pipework for me.

Anybody have an idea on how to fix this? Any help would be mu ch appreciated.

Thanks.

Contributor
CVMN0501
Message 2 of 4 (526 Views)

Re: Masking regions within families or nested generic annotations won't mask pip

08-26-2013 12:35 AM in reply to: tom.robson

I had one idea before but i have not applied it yet. If you're working with just fire protection only, meaning no other services in the file you are working on, in the MEP Settings, uncheck the "Draw MEP Hidden Lines" so the hidden lines won't show in the masking. I presume, you present the sprinkler and pipes in a coarse or medium detail level?

tom.robson
Message 3 of 4 (475 Views)

Re: Masking regions within families or nested generic annotations won't mask pip

08-27-2013 10:25 PM in reply to: tom.robson

You would presume correctly, usually our documentation is displayed in Medium detail level.

Thanks for the prompt advice, works perfectly.

jfriggstad.kwel
Message 4 of 4 (100 Views)

06-23-2014 05:59 PM in reply to: CVMN0501

THIS HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED

Turning off "MEP Hidden Lines" does solve this issue, but it also removes all the line breaks of overlapping piping (and ductwork, etc...).  This is even worse than seeing piping behind masking regions!  This issue has not been solved, and I'm running the 2015 version.

I've been searching incredibly hard for a solution to this problem.  This is a major issue for our firm as all of our symbols cannot mask the piping behind the nested masking region.  I've attached a pdf showing an example of our gate valve family.  The symbol in this family is made of 2 triangular masking regions (generic annotation) nested in the gate valve family. I've also attached the family incase you have a different idea.  

I have wasted an incredible amount of time trying to solve this issue and am getting extremely frusterated.  Two dimensional drawings are our primary deliverables to clients.  If we can't get our drawings to look correct, whats the point in using Revit?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube