Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make my own Pipe Types

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
447 Views, 6 Replies

Make my own Pipe Types

I like to know how I can make my own Pipe Types. In Revit MEP there are now
only two types available.
I would like to make a pipe type where for pipe sizes greater then 50 we use
grooved fittings and for pipe sizes smaller then 50 we use treaded fittings.

What is the procedure to manage this?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can mess with all of that by editing the pipe family type. Find it under "family" right click and "properties"....I am thinking.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Don't see how you could modify the geometry to add a groove from there.
Message 4 of 7
KyleB_Autodesk

The connection type is only a parameter at this time, not a physical change on the actual pipe itself. You can model a Grooved connection on the fittings if you choose, but not currently on the pipe itself. I recognize that's not ideal, but its the sate of the program today.

As for Pipe Sizes, you will need to modify the PipeSizes.xml file in the Program directory of your RME 2008 installation. This is where you can define the sizes available for each connection type. I also recognize that modifying an XML file is not ideal, but it gets the job done. We're working to make that process better...about all I can say about it now.

As for the management of this once you are in a model, here's how I see it:

1. You will have a System Family Type for each Pipe Type you'll use, each will be associated with the Material and Connection type you want.

2. With one of the System Family Types selected, only the sizes you've defined for that Material/Connection configuration in the PipeSizes.xml will be available.

3. If you want to change between connections at the 50 threshold, you will need to change the System Family Type, no automatic way to change it currently.

I hope that clears things up.

Cheers,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I guess I was thinking that you could use the properties thing to give you a seperate system, which you could then select so you can get take-offs of different piping types, which I do actually see a reasonable use for.

You are right that it won't show the big grooved couplings and such, which is not great.
Message 6 of 7
vewright

For those of us who are technologically challenged, how about a tutorial on edting the PipeSizes.xml file? I can open the PipeSizes.xml file in Excel, but haven't discovered how to write back out to an .xml file. (Excel says the maps in the file are not exportaable.)

Modeling grooves in grooved piping is not important. Being able to draw grooved piping systems and show the correct fittings and couplings is important.

The same thing goes for welded piping. I can define a piping type consisting of carbon steel pipe with welded joints through the properties dialog box. However, Revit still draws the joints as threaded joints--that's what those little lines mean. Welds should be shown as dots. Also, when you change to steel pipe, Revit draws the ppe at a larger diameter, but doesn't change the size of the fittings.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

vewright wrote:
> For those of us who are technologically challenged, how about a tutorial on edting the PipeSizes.xml file? I can open the PipeSizes.xml file in Excel, but haven't discovered how to write back out to an .xml file. (Excel says the maps in the file are not exportaable.)
>
> Modeling grooves in grooved piping is not important. Being able to draw grooved piping systems and show the correct fittings and couplings is important.
>
> The same thing goes for welded piping. I can define a piping type consisting of carbon steel pipe with welded joints through the properties dialog box. However, Revit still draws the joints as threaded joints--that's what those little lines mean. Welds should be shown as dots. Also, when you change to steel pipe, Revit draws the ppe at a larger diameter, but doesn't change the size of the fittings.

in response to your first question, open the xml file using "notepad"
1. right-click file -> open with -> notepad. then when modifications
have been made just click save. and close

--
Regards,
Bill Wright
http://ductductpipe.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report