Revit MEP

Mentor
dtiemeyer
Message 1 of 16 (825 Views)
Accepted Solution

MEP light fixture masks linked ceiling grid

825 Views, 15 Replies
12-09-2013 02:03 PM

This should be an easy thing. I thought I could just put a masking region in mylight fixture family, but that is not working.

What is the best way to have a 2x4 light fixture mask out the 'middle' line on a 2x2 ceiling grid coming from a linked architectural model?

Thanks!

Striving to be a WOMBAT, Waste Of Money, Brains, & Talent...

⁞|⁞ Please use the Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 2 of 16 (799 Views)

Re: MEP light fixture masks linked ceiling grid

12-10-2013 06:26 AM in reply to: dtiemeyer

I think that there are potentially two issues at work here:

1. If you are placing a recessed Light Fixture, you have to make sure that the bottom of it is not flush with the ceiling - the bottom of the fixture will have to be slightly lower than the ceiling in order to mask it.

2. There is a behavior regarding the surface patterns of "Out-Of-Discipline" elements in which they are not masked by "In-Discipline" elements. If your View is set to the Electrical Discipline, then all architectural elements (i.e. the Ceilings) are considered "Out-Of-Discipline" and thus, their surface pattern (i.e. the grid) cannot be masked by the Light Fixtures, which are of course "In-Discipline". To test, ensure that #1 above is addressed and then change your View's Discipline to Architectural. Does it mask the grid now?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Mentor
dtiemeyer
Message 3 of 16 (787 Views)

12-10-2013 11:09 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Thanks for the feedback, Corey, but unfortunately I tried both those things (separately & together) and the light fixture still does not mask the ceiling grid. I even tried with a ceiling grid in my MEP model (not linked) and get the same results. It doesnt matter which discipline I set my view to, the grid will not mask.

(this should go without saying, but I am working in a 'Ceiling Plan' not a 'Floor Plan')

Any more thoughts are greatly appreciated.

⁞|⁞ Please use the Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 4 of 16 (783 Views)

12-10-2013 11:13 AM in reply to: dtiemeyer

Can you recreate this scenario in a new Project File (no template) and post it here? What version of Revit are you using? It might be that the physical geometry of the Family is not visible in Plan/RCP Views so that there is nothing visible to mask the ceiling. Another simple thing is to check if your View is set to Visual Style: Wireframe. Or by chance, the Lighting Fixtures Category is set with Transparency.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Mentor
dtiemeyer
Message 5 of 16 (769 Views)

12-10-2013 12:05 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

Ok, here it is. The only thing I've been able to figure out, is that the 'architectural' troffer light [that ships with Revit MEP 2013 (Update 3) that I'm on], is that troffer family is ceiling hosted and has an 'opening cut' in the ceiling. But as far as I can tell, that is not an option in a workplane hosted family which is what I'm using. I'm also going to upload this to my Subscription support to see what their thoughts are.  Thanks Corey.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8crvsorn8kt4e48/Light%20Fixture%20Masking%20Block%20question.rvt

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 6 of 16 (763 Views)

12-10-2013 12:27 PM in reply to: dtiemeyer

Alright - I've downloaded your file and am looking at View "FIRST FLOOR LIGHTING PLAN".

I got the fixture to mask the ceiling grid by (A) changing the View's Discipline to "Architectural" or "Coordination", (B) Changing the View's Visual Style to "Hidden Line", and (C) editing the Family so that the bottom of the Light FIxture extends beyond the host face and reloaded it. See image below.

FixtureFrontElev.JPG

Mentor
dtiemeyer
Message 7 of 16 (756 Views)

12-10-2013 12:45 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

Corey, thank you. You nailed it! Those 3 things, all set 'correctly' (at least to what Revit wants) do result in the ceiling grid being masked. Also, I tweaked my light fixture family so that the extrusion extends 1/4" below the ceiling, this allows the light fixture to be 'inserted' at at even 8'-0" and still cause the masking behavior we want. Too bad the views get re-sorted into 'Architectural' group, but that's minor. At least it will print a lot better now.

Cheers!

Mentor
dtiemeyer
Message 8 of 16 (750 Views)

12-10-2013 01:05 PM in reply to: dtiemeyer
Ugh, but making it Hidden Line breaks my 'solid fills' that denote Emergency Lights.

FML.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 9 of 16 (748 Views)

12-10-2013 01:15 PM in reply to: dtiemeyer

Attach your Family file for a fixture with the EM shading - I'll take a look.

Mentor
dtiemeyer
Message 10 of 16 (740 Views)

12-10-2013 03:03 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Note: I have not yet added the 'masking' region to this one.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.