Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEP Hidden Lines

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
RefEng12
1325 Views, 11 Replies

MEP Hidden Lines

I'm modeling hydronic piping under structural elements.

I have no problems getting hidden lines to show correctly when the piping is below a mechanical element. However, if the piping is going under a beam or a platform, it does not show as hidden. From what I understand, it is not possible to show MEP hidden lines on pipes that are below any element that isn't mechanical equipment.

My workaround has been to create a mechanical equipment family that is basically a 1/8" thick plane that I place wherever there is a structural or architectural element above the piping I'm modeling.

How did this happen? Showing hidden lines when an object is below something is a fundamental part of any kind of graphical communication. At this point, I'm wondering if I'm missing something, simply because it is one of the first things taught when learning something as basic as hand drafting

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: RefEng12

Hi, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

I don't believe that it's possible to get the MEP Hidden Lines to show up from beneath non-MEP elements. For one, if you have the current View's Discipline set to Mechanical, then the Architectural Elements automatically become half-tone and transparent. However, if you switch the Discipline to Coordination, MEP Hidden Lines are disabled. Architect's also have a tool, "Show Hidden Lines", but this only works with Architectural elements.

Your work-around is your best course of action if you need these Hidden Lines. For the most part, I don't really see MEP elements, like Ducts, normally being shown as hidden when crossing walls or beams or when pipes are beneath a floor. Can you elaborate on your situation and why you would like to do this? Is it company standard? Perhaps the Linework tool may be of some use if this need is situational.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
RefEng12

It is a company standard, but what I'm really trying to say is that it transcends any company or industry standard. This is really about graphical communication.

A specific example on one project I am working on:

There are several large tanks, being supported by structural beams above the roof. There is also a walking platform between some of the tanks on top of the beams. Some of the pipe is above the beams, some of the pipe is below the beams. There are also some portions where there is nothing above the pipe. Aside from using a bunch of sections, how do I graphically convey my intention of which pipe is above or below the platform or structural beams?

I'm thinking ahead for when the contractor gets my drawings and is trying to figure out which pipe goes above or below the beams. There is no way to graphically show that without showing the pipe as a hidden line when it crosses the beam. I can't make a whole pipe run show up as a hidden line, because only a portion of it crosses the beam. I could have a bunch of sections, which will force the contractor to go back and forth between two drawing sheets. It is more confusing and more work than it needs to be. The simplest way to communicate this is to use hidden lines on the portions that are below the beams/platform. This is drafting 101 level stuff. That you are able to do this in Architectural and not MEP makes it more frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Revit fan. There are some shifts in thinking required in terms of how different design intentions are communicated graphically, but this is one that I find unacceptable.

Message 4 of 12
Roman.Matveev

did you find a solution? because i faced the same problem and still dont have solution for that

Message 5 of 12
s.borello

I feel your pain... I use the linework tool often to work around the issue. 

Message 6 of 12
T.gligorovic

I've made 4 different posts this week trying to figure out the best way to have mechanical center lines show, while not showing MEP hidden lines.  Im going to end up resorting to drawing in and locking center lines in my sections. Here's my OG post describing what i think is your issue as well:

Hello,   I am currently trying to adjust my view template for a process piping section.  However, I am running into an issue with center lines on pipes.  When I have the view template set to Mechanical I get the center lines for pipes, however I can now see pipes beyond walls and other objects, which I do not want. When I change the view template to a Architectural or Coordination view everything looks the way I want, however I have found no way to get the pipe center lines to appear.  I can change the hidden lines setting to "All" but then I run into the same problem with the Mechanical discipline and can see pipes beyond objects. I can always manually draw in the center lines but would really prefer to have a more efficient work flow moving forward.  I'm really frustrated with these disciplines and not being able to control their settings, I really don't understand the point, just let us control all graphics in the V/G settings.

Message 7 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: T.gligorovic

@T.gligorovic wrote:

I've made 4 different posts this week trying to figure out the best way to have mechanical center lines show

So you decide to hijack an unrelated thread?

Good luck!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 12
Roman.Matveev
in reply to: RobDraw

This is very related thread. 

Message 9 of 12
T.gligorovic

@RobDraw  Its literally the same problem, take some time and read through a thread before making unintelligent comments, thanks!

Message 10 of 12
RobDraw

Okay...

I must have been on vacation when piping center lines became the same thing as wanting MEP objects to be hidden by background items which isn't even a standard at any MEP firm around here.

Rob

Message 11 of 12
RobDraw

BTW, what's so intelligent about attacking someone who doesn't see it the same way you do?

Rob

Message 12 of 12
T.gligorovic

Way to hijack the thread with unrelated content.

Best of Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report