Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking client file problem

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jpuck91
496 Views, 9 Replies

Linking client file problem

Hey guys... been searching around the site here for an answer to this but no dice so far so figured I'd post a thread about it.

We're on Revit MEP 2013. We're working with an architect who is using Revit Architecture 2013. What we're trying to do is get the linked model set up correctly so that we can easily update our architectural "background" model. The linking function appears to work, however when we link in the architect's model you can't see any of the floor plans, can't create sheets or views, etc. It basically locks out almost every command in our entire central file. The coarse/medium fine view switches are greyed out. The only views that show up once things are linked are the 3D views, and you can rotate/orbit/etc. in there but can't change much of anything else.

We can open the architect's file without issue, and when we open it directly (aka not as a link) we can operate in it just fine - creating/changing views/sheets, view settings, etc.

When we link other files into our central file, such as the test ones we did with the samples shipped w/ the program, everything works fine.

Any ideas? Is there a setting that could be preventing the architect's model from functioning correctly as a linked file? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note... our structural engineer (using Revit Structure 2013) is having the same problems with this architect's model.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
MikeMaloney
in reply to: jpuck91

1st Thing I'd check.Sound like you have a "View Template" applied to you view(S).........thus making any buttons, etc, greyed out..........

2d, check that the Level of YOUR plans match the Levels of the Arch PlansSince you didn't say wether you Copy/Monitored their Leves..........theirs could be lower or higher than yours.......... Make Sense?

Mike

Mike Maloney
BIM Design Automation Coordinator
CH2M Hill
Message 3 of 10
jpuck91
in reply to: MikeMaloney

Hey Mike-

I think we already checked for view templates but I'll check that again.

On the copy/monitor side... we can't even get that far to activate it so that's a non-issue far as I can tell. There are links within the architectural model (structural model is linked to it) but we tried detaching that and still had issues, so don't think is a c/m issue within the architectural model.

Thanks for the tips.

Message 4 of 10
VWD-MLM

How did you link in the Arch Model?....Origin to Origin, Shared Corrdinates, Auto, Manual?  Have you "uncropped " all of your Elevations to see where the Arch modle lies in the Z plane?

Still sounds like a View Templat is causing some of the problems.........Without seeing YOUR model and the Arch models, it's kinda hard to figure out?

M

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 5 of 10
jpuck91
in reply to: VWD-MLM

We've tried all of those. Doesn't make a difference.

What shows up onscreen when you link the file in is most of the gridlines, and some of the reflected ceiling plan will occasionally show up. Rest of it cannot be seen in any of the plan or elevation views. The 3D view works, and shows everything.

With the view templates, are you referring to templates in the architectural model already or templates in our model? The whole issue is once we link the file in, regardless of how, we can't work with the views at all. Adjusting cut planes, view depths, etc. doesn't change anything - if you can even get to those commands.

We were thinking it was a phasing issue, since there are a couple phases in the architectural that weren't originally in our model, and that won't import, but even manually setting up those phases in ours doesn't get stuff to show up. We also tried adding some random stuff to the architectural model (walls/fixtures) to see if those would show through the link for some reason, but that didn't work either.

I think it may boil down to a simple file corruption issue actually. Not 100% on that though... seems to me if the file was actually corrupted there would be obvious issues when opening the architect's model directly and not just when it was linked to another file.

Keep in mind that linking in pretty much any other file into ours seems to work just fine - we've tried several, anything from other architect's drawings to Autodesk samples, and they show up without any issues.

It's the wierdest thing though... never seen anything like this one. And the structural engineer is having the same issue with the architect's files too. We've all had to temporarily abandon the model and work off of 2D exports from the architect just to meet some project schedules Smiley Mad.

Message 6 of 10
CoreyDaun

Two questions:

#1. Is the architect possibly using some kind of third-party add-in or application?

#2. Can you take the Arch's file, delete everything, and purge it down to a post-able size? Assuming, of course, that the problem persists.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 10
VWD-MLM

The only other thing I can think of is Filters in the View Graphics for the views............again, with out seeing your  and Arch models, can't think of anything else.......maybe open/audit the Arch model and purge.

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 8 of 10
jpuck91
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Yeah I know that makes it way more difficult, sorry! We've got usage agreements with the architect & client that prohibit sending the file out to anyone but those working on the project or the owner unfortunately. Otherwise I would have posted this trainwreck up to see if anybody else could make something of it!!!

Thanks for your help/suggestions though, really appreciate it. We've been going back and trying some of them again just to see if we've missed anything. If something works I'll post it up.

Message 9 of 10
CoreyDaun

Have you tried linking in another random Project File and see if the same problem exists for that Link as well? If another Project comes in just fine, then indeed it may be the Arch file.

Also, you mentioned previously about the arch having different Phases. Have you set up Phase Mapping for the Link? If not, Select the Link, click "Edit Type...", and then click "Edit..." beside 'Phase Mapping'.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 10 of 10
jpuck91
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I don't believe the architect is using any 3rd party add-ons or anything.

We've tried linking in other models, and they seem to work fine which lends credence to the thought that there's an issue with the architectural file.

On the phasing, we've tried a few things on that but I'd have to double check to see if there was anything set up to translate phases between the 2 models.

We tried every version of audit/purge we could find on the architect's model so far.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report