Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link an Arch model

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
DonSchaefer1024
880 Views, 5 Replies

Link an Arch model

Very new to revit, trying to get an understanding so bear with me.

I would like to set up a new project for MEP coordination. My question/issue is this:

If I open a new arch model and detach from central, I have full comntrol/access over model as far as display settings, hiding layers and such. If I create an MEP new project and link in the model, I lose that control. I cannot for instance "Hide" the "Furniture" on a floor plan. The options are greyed out.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? How do I control the "Visisbility" of a linked file in my mep project?

Thanks,

Don

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: DonSchaefer1024

When a model is linked into your Project, it will adhere to all of the settings in your model, so if you turn the Furniture Category off, all of the elements of that category that are embedded in the linked model will also be turned off.

There are cases in which there is a conflict, for example if the architect is showing the general locations of some mechanical equipment. In this case, you would want to show the Mechanical Equipment from your model but hide that same category in the link. This is accomplished by going to Visibility/Graphics Overrides in a View, and then to the 'Revit Links' tab. Here, you'll see a list of the attached links. Under 'Display Settings' for the appropriate link, click on the 'By Host View' button. In the first tab, set the top option to "Custom" and then navigate to the 'Model Categories' tab. Set the pull-down at the top to "<Custom>". Here, you can control the specific V/G settings for the linked model.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
AJA14

Hi,

You need to read about overriding visibility graphics for linked models.

If you click VV, you get a new tab for worksets which may be set to one of three options:

1- by host view

2- by linked view

3- custom

I think this should get you started on the issue.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 4 of 6
DonSchaefer1024
in reply to: AJA14

Thank you for your replies. The issue I have is when I go to the VG Revit Links Tab, I can't select the Custom button. All options are disabled under revit Links. See attached screen shot
Message 5 of 6
CoreyDaun

Then the issue you are likely having is that the V/G Setting are being controlled (and locked) by a Vew Template. You can either modify the View Template (global change) or change the View to 'no template', under Properties (local change). I would suggest referencing WikiHelp for more info on View Templates, as well.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 6
DonSchaefer1024
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thank you, I will look into that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report