Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Styles by Pipe Type

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dhorger
2362 Views, 6 Replies

Line Styles by Pipe Type

I feel stupid for even asking this because it's probably obvious, but how do you set line styles (including patterns) by piping system (ie: cold water, hot water, etc.)?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: dhorger

You need to use View Filters to accomplish this task.

1. Settings -> Filters... Here you define the Filters that will exist in the project. See image 1.

2. Select a view in the Project Browser that you want to apply these filters on, go to Properties -> Visibility Graphics Overrides... -> Filters tab. Here you will select a filter you defined in step 1 and define visual overrides for elements that are returned by the filter. See image 2.

3. Go to that view, note that your Filters have been applied and there is a visual difference between your systems, see image 3.

Keep in mind that Filters can be part of a View Template, so you don't need to define these for each individual view.

HTH,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
dhorger

Thanks, Kyle, that's exactly the kind of help I needed, but couldn't figure out from the Help file. It makes sense, but it isn't really intuitive. Thanks again.
Message 4 of 7
msoren

I've set up the filters and applied them to the views I want and I can get the color to change and the pattern. but what I want is not a "pattern" I want a single line designation for the different plumbing and piping when I'm in a coarse view. I don't seem to be able to do that with the filters. I can do it when I select the individual element and then over ride the visibility graphics for the element. but I don't want to select each element to do this.
Please let me know if I am missing something.
Message 5 of 7
Martin__Schmid

Instead of applying an override to the pattern in the filter, you wan tto apply the override to the Lines.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 7
jcook

We are using the filters to designate different colors for different systems. Example we created a process water system, a process water filter and used the override on the line style to designate a color. We can keep all the different systems filtered from each other and on different colors this way. It works better than the color scheme (it makes the line look like you have taken a highligher to it vs changing the color of the line).

Note that if you use the transfer project standards. It will transfer the filters but it will not keep the color overrides (quite a pain that you cannot do that).

Kyle / M. Schmid is there a way around this where the color overrides can be transferred?

john
Message 7 of 7
Martin__Schmid

Hi John-

There is an outstanding request to be able to transfer the Filter Settings with a view template. I'm not sure why this doesn't happen. However, Kyle pointed out that ifyou transfer both View Templates and Filters at the same time, that the Filters / color settings will be on the template.

Also, you're right on the highlighter bit... note in the 'Edit Color Scheme', the setting is 'Highlighter fill width'.

MS

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report