Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighting Control Panels

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tmclachlan
2774 Views, 8 Replies

Lighting Control Panels

Is it possible for Revit to make a Lighting Control Panel? Or is the only option to trick it into thinking a standard Panel is a LCP?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tmclachlan
in reply to: tmclachlan

Is anyone else having this problem?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

I am having the same problem, our solution was to completely ignore Revit's circuiting functions for lighting and just use excel and the old way of scheduling. With lighting controls becoming ever-more complex, I don't see how Revit could ever provide the tools necessary. Please let me know how you fared with your approach.
Message 4 of 9
tmclachlan

Well for one of our jobs we used the Revit's circuiting and then we just added the LCP numbers next to the home runs and also added it on the Lighting Panel by placing the LCP# next to the description/location of circuit. Our company has laid off of Revit MEP for the moment and are using AutoCAD MEP until Revit gets a little more up to speed. Speaking of speed, I heard at the AU Conference that the next release of Revit is going to be 50% faster is there any truth to this? Anyone?
Message 5 of 9
CrazedEngineer

I haven't tried it, but I would think the easiest way, would to be to add a Parameter say "Relay Switch Leg" & "Relay Description" to your lighting fixture families, and use a Lighting Fixture Schedule with (Circuit Number Parameter, The Circuit Voltage Parameter, Relay Description, Relay Switch Leg") and anything else you deem valid. Then Sort by Circuit number or Relay Switch Leg. The total load per circuit will show up in the panel schedule, regardless of what Relay you put it on. Tell me what you guys think.
Message 6 of 9
tmclachlan

That sounds like a pretty good idea i will have to try it. Thanks! When i am able to try it out i will let you know how it worked.
Message 7 of 9
unjust

what sort of system?

you're generally looking at 2 sorts of things, a) power to fixture, b) control to fixture. a may contain b.

i.e. you're runnign a building off of dmx controlled dimmers.
each fixture will have some sort of power going to it, either dimmed, contactor, or constant. (not including transformers or ballasts)
each fixture may also have lv dmx going to it to tell it to change color or dim.

so, for each fixture you need: power source, and control source, however if the fixture has a control unit, you may have power to each fixture and control shared across them. the control panels will generally have the same thing. (although they may be power over ethernet)

so, each critter has a "power" circuit that will tie to some sort of power, or to it's driver/transformer and a "control" circuit that will tie to it's control signal, or nothing if the transformer receives that.

now, with that in mind, structure how you circuit each fixture. i.e. dimmed circuits get D###, contactor circuits get C### and constant power circutis get B### (breaker or branch) control circuits are a different location in the tag, and are ### (or hex) where no additional control (just a dimmed incandescent on line voltage) is necessary you leave it blank.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Okay, I can get all that business to work, thanks for the input...I added shared parameters to wires: (Connected to lighting control panel? (yes/no), panel name, contactor#, etc) I added this information to the wires so that when I tag the wires to get the circuits i.e. L-12, it will also show the name of the lighting control panel and contactor in the tag (if it goes through a LCP). However, now I cannot schedule wire! I can schedule circuits but I cannot figure out how to input this information into the circuits. So far as I can tell, circuiting information goes on in the background and cannot be edited. I have asked Autodesk if you can add categories to the scheduling tool, not possible. Any ideas?
Does anyone else feel like you are driving a car with parts missing and no owners manual? The only information I can get out of Autodesk is that they will add it to their wishlist. Either that or they come up with some crazy scheme that makes no sense and doesn't really solve any problems, They just want you to put little bandaids on everything.

Optimistic but frustrated
-BrianAE
Message 9 of 9
CrazedEngineer

I have never tried to make a wire schedule before. When I shot a small test run, I did it with the Light Fixtures, and scheduled the circuit it was on, and which leg of the relay panel it was on, then sorted it by relay panel Leg, and then filter it by relay panel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report