Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light Fixtures not hosting to ceiling where placed

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Linds_REVIT
3841 Views, 3 Replies

Light Fixtures not hosting to ceiling where placed

Hey,

I am NEWBIE to Revit and have got most of basics down. But this weird problem arose few weeks back which hoping it was someone else on project fault for error but has yet to go away.

I am running Revit MEP 2013 on a building with a few floors. This is only happening on the Main/Second Floor but down to the problem. When I go to place a light fixture onto the ceiling, once I click to where I want it to go it places it 2'-6' in some random direction (does not seem to be a uniform placement all over). I then must grab the fixture and am able to drag it back placing in correct location.

This only happens when placing 'new' fixtures and not for when picking a 'New Face". Also the fixtures seem to inherit the height of the ceiling selected. Things I have also noticed that are out of ordinary is that when 'Tag By Category' is selected on Main Floor it is able to tag Second Floor walls and components.

If anyone has suggestions of how to eradicate this problem please let me know. Gets very annoying when having to place many light fixtures and have to place then move each time!! 

🙂 Thanks,

Linds

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Linds_REVIT

Linds_REVIT wrote:

"I am running Revit MEP 2013 on a building with a few floors. This is only happening on the Main/Second Floor but down to the problem. When I go to place a light fixture onto the ceiling, once I click to where I want it to go it places it 2'-6' in some random direction (does not seem to be a uniform placement all over). I then must grab the fixture and am able to drag it back placing in correct location."

Are you working with a Linked Architectural Model? If so, does the architect have their own lighting layout, and does it cut into the ceiling grid? The "holes" in the ceiling left by their fixtures (or other ceiling elements) may be causing this issue.

Linds_REVIT wrote:

"...Also the fixtures seem to inherit the height of the ceiling selected. Things I have also noticed that are out of ordinary is that when 'Tag By Category' is selected on Main Floor it is able to tag Second Floor walls and components."

This sounds like at least a portion of the elements are being inadvertently included in the other Views. Double check the View Range to ensure that the elements from the other floors aren't crossing into it - they should be fully excluded. Also ensure that the View does not have an Underlay (under the View's Properties).

⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗
Welcome to the Autodesk forums, Linds_REVIT!
Feel free to post any questions you may have! There are many experienced users here who generously contribute their time and effort to supporting
their peers. This is an open, peer-supported forum, so feel free to contribute any useful information or experiences to any of the topics you see here.
We hope you'll stick around a while and help strengthen the value of this community!
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Be sure to review the Ground Rules, visit the FAQ Forum, and use the Search feature prior to posting a question, as it's likely been asked before.
⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
Linds_REVIT
in reply to: CoreyDaun

"Are you working with a Linked Architectural Model? If so, does the architect have their own lighting layout, and does it cut into the ceiling grid? The "holes" in the ceiling left by their fixtures (or other ceiling elements) may be causing this issue."

1. I am working with a Linked Architect Model, but am also using there ceilings for fixtures. Did not create any of my own ceilings. I opened there file to see if I could sort out the major issue but everything in my knowledge seemed like it was set up properly.

2. And I have played a lot with the View Range. From having it so I can't even see the light fixtures on Main floor to seeing floor boxes on second floor but I can still tag those walls above. (Also to note while in Architect Model file I tested and found that you could not tag walls above. Tried duplicating there View Range but no success.) And there is no Underlay.

Message 4 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Linds_REVIT

Linds_REVIT wrote:

"1. I am working with a Linked Architect Model, but am also using there ceilings for fixtures. Did not create any of my own ceilings. I opened there file to see if I could sort out the major issue but everything in my knowledge seemed like it was set up properly."

Did the architect create their own lighting layout and place light fixtures on their ceilings in the Link? What I meant by my previous statement about the 'holes' is that the architect's fixtures may be cutting into their ceiling, so when you fixture is placed in one of these 'holes' in their ceiling, it is placed on the nearest available surface.

There are still of few 'unexplainable' ceiling/light issues like this that have been discussed in the past, but no solution was discovered. Try searching this forum and maybe there is some information in one of those posts that may be of use.

Linds_REVIT wrote:

"2. And I have played a lot with the View Range. From having it so I can't even see the light fixtures on Main floor to seeing floor boxes on second floor but I can still tag those walls above. (Also to note while in Architect Model file I tested and found that you could not tag walls above. Tried duplicating there View Range but no success.) And there is no Underlay."

Did you Copy/Monitor the Levels from the Link to ensure that they are and remain exactly the same? If you're Levels don't match the Link's exactly, then having the exact same View Range settings as their Views won't be correct, anyway.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report