Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keynoting

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Jrobker
343 Views, 6 Replies

Keynoting

There needs to be more flexibility with this.
Keynoting is the one thing (besides sluggish performance) that is holding us back.
Sometimes I don't want to keynote an Element, just place one in space. I can't do it.
I think the only way around this is to create a "Dot" family with multiple types and keynote those.
I have tried to create a custom keynote that just uses text along with the keynote family that uses values and text.
I cannot create the Legend that allows me to use both.
Why can't I manually add my own text in a row?
My only options for fields are Key value and keynote text, meaning it only looks for a keynote family, meaning it has to point to something.
Maybe there is a way.
If anyone has had this issue, please let me know what you are doing.
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Jrobker

I don't even mess with keynotes. I simply create text notes in legend views for each sheet. I then drag those views onto my corresponding sheets (and apply a hidden view title). For the note tags, I created generic annotations in which I can drag into a plan view and edit the number/letter for each note tag. See the attached video which shows the process. (Right-click on link and "save target as")

http://www.sec-k.com/Images/notes.avi
Message 3 of 7
Jrobker

That's interesting how we all try and turn this software back into Autocad.

The purpose is to create an intelligent file, but everything I have done is but that.

I see why you do it.

This is exactly how I will be doing it from now on, thanks.
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Oh, don't get me wrong, I see how keynotes could be very useful. If you had many instances of the same notes throughout a project, keynotes would be the way to go. However, that is not the case with MEP disciplines (in my experience anyway). The way I do it works great for us and we don't see any advantage in a note "database" at this point. I see keynotes as something that would be very useful for architects and structural engineers.
Message 5 of 7
mdipiro

sec-k,

How would I create a generic annotation family in which I can edit the text manually in a view (like in your video)?

I've tried inserting "text" into a family, but it doesn't let me edit the text within the view.

Thanks!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Use a label instead of text. See attached file.
Message 7 of 7
mdipiro

ok, thanks a lot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report