Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to check for the central model and if it is linked to my files

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2340 Views, 2 Replies

Is there a way to check for the central model and if it is linked to my files

We are an MEP firm and we have been sent the model from the architect and we are getting the error "...cant sync to central model...".  I tried to change the path to our local (as opposed to the model located in the architect's office) server and it would not take the new path; something about the new path not being valid, or I get "... the central model cannot be located for editing...".  When I first open the model I get the error messages (This central model has been copied or moved from fileserver2\Work\2013\1301-"project-name" and Remodel\consultant\out\date-Revit Model 50%sd\classroom building.rvt to S:\13012 "project name"\keep\03-29-13 Revit\classroom building.rvt).  It seems that all of these error messages are related to the Central Model.  When I show details it appears that a .dwg file is linked to this project or model.

I am a new user and can someone please refresh my memory on what exactly the Central Model?  Could this be caused because the architect sent us a copy or other form of the Central Model?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
abulla
in reply to: Anonymous

All you have to do on your end is click the "Detach from Central" option in the Open dialogue. This will sever the connection between their central file location and the file you're opening. Note that this error does not refer to your central file location, but theirs.
Message 3 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you set up your own Central File? You should probably have your own and then link the architectural model into yours.

A Central file in just what is sounds like; it's the database for the Project. When multiple users are working on the same Project, they will each create their own Local File (which Revit will pretty much do automatically). Which each Local file, each user works on the Project, taking "ownership" of the elements as he works, which prevents two users from having conflicting work. When the user uses the 'Synchronize to Central' command, all of the changes/additions made to the Local file are written to the Central file, and the ownership of said elements is also returned. That's it in a tiny nutshell.

Welcome to the Discussion Groups, by the way!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report