Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquire on linked file

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
alatier
443 Views, 2 Replies

Inquire on linked file

Hi,

Is it possible to inquire on elements in a linked file? I can see elements but arn't sure of what they are. eg in wireframe, i can see that a line is on the structural drawing, I want to know what it is? Steel, slab? wall? without switching to realistic I am looking for somthing like xlist in autocad

Also for example, if i want to know the height of a ceiling on an architectural overlay, I have to generate a section and measure it. is that the best way.

is there a way of making the linked files not selectable in revit 2012? I can see how to do this in 2013 and later on the help screen (its great how the help screen from 2012 give me 2014, Im forced to work on 2012 for this project)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
abulla
in reply to: alatier

You can use Tab to select items through a linked file. (If you follow my 3rd piece of advice though, you'll have to uncheck "Exclude Options" before you'll be able to select a linked element).

If you are in an RCP view, you can use a Spot Elevation to quickly find the elevation of a ceiling. We have a working view that we use when placing lights and diffusers that has all the ceilings tagged with spot elevations, it really helps coordination.

The workaround I used to make links un-selectable in 2012 and 2013 is to put your linked files on a Design Option. As long as the "Exclude Options" button in the bottom right is checked, you won't be able to select your linked files.

Hope that helps.

Message 3 of 3
alatier
in reply to: abulla

Thank you for that

Tab is great, i knew that, but hadnt seen the info in the properties box

Ill have a play with the spot elevation, I can see it working for me

The design option workaround is a great soulution to a frustrating problem. The links were slecting as a priority over the elements in my workset.

Thank you very much for your help

Pete

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report