Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing dwg for use with electrical

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
robyn.henke
476 Views, 7 Replies

Importing dwg for use with electrical

I have been assigned the task to recreate an electrical power, communications and lighting AutoCAD drawing to a revit file. I imported the dwg background file and thought I could just use that to place all the stuff (receptacles, lights, panel, etc) but I am finding many errors occurring when trying to do this. I have read some threads that state you cannot create a proper revit file using a dwg as your background source, especially for electrical. Can anyone please verify this information?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jason.martin
in reply to: robyn.henke

Yes, I can.

Revit Systems was specifically designed to work with a Revit Architectural model and not an AutoCAD or ABS background.

This is one of the primary reasons that Revit Systems was packaged with Autodesk Building Systems. ABS does a much better job with the "traditional" AutoCAD workflow with exchanging .DWG's than Revit Systems does.

Revit Systems is meant to be used only when exchanging Revit files with the Architect. That doesn't mean that it's impossible to work with an AutoCAD file, just that it wasn't designed to work with an AutoCAD file and you will be up against a number of challenges working with an AutoCAD file rather than a Revit model.

jason
Message 3 of 8
robyn.henke

Thank you very much! That is exactly the information I needed.
Message 4 of 8
nanaaraba67
in reply to: jason.martin

Hello,

Are you saying that it's impossible? Because I have also been tasked to create an electrical design and I am not able to place rreceptacles imto my imported cad file. I want to know if there is a soloution and if there is, what is it?

Message 5 of 8
RobDraw

Why are you asking in a thread from 2007?

You should start a new thread. State what you have and what you need to model. (The .dwg can only be used as a guide to trace over and add the missing information.) 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 8
iainsavage
in reply to: nanaaraba67

Almost certainly a hosting problem due to family settings. The families will be looking for faces, walls etc to host to.

Message 7 of 8
fabiosato
in reply to: nanaaraba67

Hello,

You need a set of unhosted families to work with to achieve your goal.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
nanaaraba67
in reply to: fabiosato

How do I go about this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report