Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing CAD dwg into Revit MEP 2012

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
bzolla
13254 Views, 17 Replies

Importing CAD dwg into Revit MEP 2012

Every drawing I try to import an error box "Elements Lost on Import" with the following message "Some elements were lost during import. ActiveX and some proprietary components cannot be imported." And then "Try exploding the file in AutoCAD, or setting PROXYGRAPHICS to 1."

When I close that box, another box opens "Revit" with the message "Import detected no valid elements in the file's Model space. Do you want to import from the Paper space?" If I click yes it goes back to the first box, which I then close and takes me back to Revit MEP.

I went back to AutoCAD 2013 an opened the drawing, selected and exploded it, and made sure that the PROXYGRAPHICS was set to 1. Save the drawing, closed it and then tried to again to import it into Revit MEP and got the same message boxes.

Any ideas?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
CoreyDaun
in reply to: bzolla

bzolla wrote:

"Every drawing I try to import an error box "Elements Lost on Import" with the following message "Some elements were lost during import. ActiveX and some proprietary components cannot be imported." And then "Try exploding the file in AutoCAD, or setting PROXYGRAPHICS to 1." "

The first error can be caused by certain objects in the DWG file, such as imported images. Try removing all such items. Also, try exploding the all of the blocks and then purging the DWG file. If the error persists, you can post the file here so we can take a look.

bzolla wrote:

"When I close that box, another box opens "Revit" with the message "Import detected no valid elements in the file's Model space. Do you want to import from the Paper space?" If I click yes it goes back to the first box, which I then close and takes me back to Revit MEP."

When you import a DWG file into a View, Revit will look at the import's Modelspace first. If you're importing it into a Sheet, it looks at Paperspace first. This error indicates that the objects are simply not in the 'Space' that Revit initially looks for them. This can be either ignored or you can go into the DWG file and cut/paste the object to the correct Space.

⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗
Welcome to the Autodesk forums, bzolla!
Feel free to post any questions you may have! There are many experienced users here who generously contribute their time and effort to supporting
their peers. This is an open, peer-supported forum, so feel free to contribute any useful information or experiences to any of the topics you see here.
We hope you'll stick around a while and help strengthen the value of this community!
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Be sure to review the Ground Rules, visit the FAQ Forum, and use the Search feature prior to posting a question, as it's likely been asked before.
⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 18
sforsberg215

Hi I find it easier to link a CAD file than to import it. That's just me, though. Sincerely Scott E Forsberg C: 651-468-4024 Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890)
Message 4 of 18
bzolla

Thanks Scott

When I tried to link a CAD file I got the same message boxes.

--bz

Message 5 of 18
CoreyDaun

sforsberg215 wrote:
"Hi I find it easier to link a CAD file than to import it. That's just me, though..." 
 bzolla wrote:

"Thanks Scott

When I tried to link a CAD file I got the same message boxes."

I believe he was just commenting that it is better practice to "Link" rather than to "Import", which are two different means of bringing in DWG files. Both will follow the same rules and, thus, achieve the same errors. The difference between the two is that Revit will retain a connection the Linked DWG file so that it can by easily updated, while the Imported DWG file is just dumped into the Revit file and has no association with the original file. This is the AutoCAD equivalent of "Attach as an Xref" vs. "Insert as a Block"

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 18
bzolla
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Great explanation, totally get it.

Message 7 of 18
bzolla

Thank you for your offer to look at the file. I have tried to purge/explode and can't seem to get it. I am a new Revit user just starting to learn.I have attached the file I am trying to open in Revit.  Really appreciate your help.

--bz

Message 8 of 18
CoreyDaun

Could you save that file to 2012 format? I have Revit MEP 2013 installed, but not AutoCAD 2013 yet!

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 18
bzolla

The only option I have is to save it in AutoCAD 2010

Message 10 of 18
tim.winnington

The 2010 version worked fine linking into Revit 2012 for me.  I would guess the issue you were trying to import a 2013 DWG into 2012 Revit and it was not able to recognise the file format based on a new file format at ACAD 2013.

Tested the theory and recieved the same errors you mentioned in your original post.

Message 11 of 18
CoreyDaun

bzolla wrote:

"The only option I have is to save it in AutoCAD 2010"

Sorry, that's what I intended - mistyped...

tim.winnington wrote:

"The 2010 version worked fine linking into Revit 2012 for me.  I would guess the issue you were trying to import a 2013 DWG into 2012 Revit and it was not able to recognise the file format based on a new file format at ACAD 2013."

Confirmed. Additionally, when Linked into a Revit 2013 MEP Project, no errors are received. So, use the 2010 version to link into your 2012 Revit Project.

Message 12 of 18
bzolla
in reply to: tim.winnington

Makes total sense not that you point it out. I never would have thought of it. Thank you so much.

--bz

Message 13 of 18
smurck

I have done everything you said there.  I changed proxy graphics to 1.  I got rid of all the text.  I have exploded everything three times.  I cut and pasted the drawing to a new drawing in model space then tried re-inserting it into the model with a new name.  I burst it.  I purged it completely.  This error keeps coming up.  At this point it is nothing but lines.   I am at a loss.  I feel like sending you the drawing so you can see if you can make it work.  

Message 14 of 18
smurck

My last effort was to extract the auto CAD background from a pdf. and link that in.    It still wont work.  Same error.  I can link in the old background from the architect, but not this one.

Message 15 of 18
RobDraw
in reply to: smurck

This is an old thread that was solved. You really should start your own thread for more direct answers.

If you are using Revit MEP 2012 and trying to link in a .dwg, it is most likely a versioning/format/proxy problem. Export the .dwg so that AEC objects get converted (exploded) using the method appropriate for your version of AutoCAD or use Drawing TrueView available free from Autodesk. Make sure to choose a .dwg format prior to 2012.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 16 of 18
smurck
in reply to: RobDraw

I was working in Revit 2017 when this happened. The only thing that solved it was converting the 2017 revit model to 2019. That did it. I have been working with autocad for 20 years and Revit since 2013. I have never seen anything like it. I purged the drawing, turned proxy graphics to 1, burst it, exploded everything to basic lines then cut and paste it to the model space of a blank drawing, still with proxy graphics at 1. I also Wblocked it out, turned all the layers to 0 with color by layer. Then I thought I could just import the pdf. Of the drawing to a CAD drawing, that didn't work either. The Revit model would link in the old dwg. Drawing of the same drawing just fine, just not that new drawing. Is there some locking mechanism in AutoCAD now? Is there something in Revit 2019 that resolves this kind of issue?
Message 17 of 18
RobDraw

Again, you should start your own thread instead of piggy backing on this one.

And again, by being successful in doing it in 2019 you may have confirmed that it is a versioning issue with the CAD file.

Good luck!

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 18 of 18
fabiosato

Hello,

Try to save the DWG in an older format, 2013 or earlier.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report