Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with filters

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dtiemeyer
590 Views, 3 Replies

Help with filters

I'm trying to create a 3D view to use for Interference Checking purposes. In this 3D view I need to see pipes that meet two criteria, and I'm having trouble making a set of filters that accomodate.

Criteria one:

If system equals SAN then display

If system equals RC then display

If system equals V then display

Criteria two: If the diameter is 3" or less do not display

Unfortuanately when I create these Filters, the second criteria will cause elements 'displayed' by the first criteria to turn off. In other words, any SAN pipe 2"dia would be turned off, even though there is a filter explicitly turning it on. It was my understanding that Filters are applied in order of Top to Bottom in the filter list, but this does not appear to be true.

Suggestions?

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: dtiemeyer

It looks like you're trying to set up 3 filters for the system classifications. I would use the OR boolean in Filter Rules so that in that the first Filter revit is applying is looking for SAN or RC or V. Basically Revit getting confused with the individual filters, they sort of step on each others toes as Revit has two filters saying "only display Systems with system classifcations called this". The second filter is breaking the rules of the first one.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 4
dtiemeyer
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Hi Chris, thanks for your response. I actually simplified the problem for the forum. There are about 10 systems for the first criteria, and Revit does not have enough 'or' options to accomodate all of those. The second critereia filter is based on size. Is this not possible?

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 4 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dtiemeyer

While View Filters can "turn off" elements, they cannot turn them on. Also, the View Filter Rules don't have an actual "OR" operator; you are limited to three "AND" operators. So you can simulate a multiple "OR" operation with the 'Not Equal To' or 'Does not Contain' conditions, but you are limited to three arguments. Example:

Filter by: "System Name" "does not equal" "SAN"

And: "System Name" "does not equal" "RC"

And: "System Name" "does not equal" "V"

Due to this, if there are more than three Systems that you want to keep visible, then you will have to have a View Filter dedicated to turning off each unwanted System. Perhaps you can target multiple Systems by tactically using the "System Classification" Parameter, which can use the "contains"/"does not contain" conditions.

To take this in a different direction, have you considered dividing the Piping into two (or more) Worksets? Here, we typically have two Piping Worksets (Underground and Suspended) and only have one visible on their respective Views, alieviating us of the burden of View Filter visibility control.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report