Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics card upgrade for Revit 2014 MEP

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
peter57733
3882 Views, 17 Replies

Graphics card upgrade for Revit 2014 MEP

Hi,

I Was surfing around the new egg site looking for a suitable up-grade to my Quadro 600 GPU and after an hour of reading and searching I found a Quadro K2000 w/ 2gb memory and supposedly a direct replacement (which is good) Now I am having trouble finding out if this card is Autodesk certified, why I am wanting an upgrade is that when I am revolving a Navisworks 3d view exported from Revit as an FBX file it sticks and moves very slowly while using the view cube to rotate the image, this is a problem because when I record my way through the project and it sticks on me it causes me to have to lengthen my video and I am trying to keep it short (under 4 minutes) so that we can email it to various people if wanted. But that is only a side benefit, we just really want the video to be nice and smooth and not slow down or stop while creating it, any suggestions or comments??

Thanks,

Pete

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: peter57733

There are a number of things that affect performance, and the video card is definitely one of them.

I would also make sure the RAM meets or exceeds the stated requirement on the page below:

System requirements for Autodesk Navisworks products http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS15740409

You can also check the following page for a list of tested cards.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 18
peter57733

My system meets the minimum requirements by a lot, I have an Intel i7 processor, 16 gb Ram, Windows 7 Pro., And plenty of leftover hard drive space, my video card is a nvidia Quadro 600. I am thinking because it is an entry level video card it may be my problem, I have been watching my performance on the task manager and I am getting some rather large spikes on the hard drive only, very close together even with all programs closed, Not sure if this is normal or not but I will be doing some looking into it. And the CPU & RAM never really go over ? way except for an occasional spike

Thank you,
Peter Eells
AutoCAD Certified, Electrical Designer and
2013 MEP REVIT Trained
Design Department
[cid:image002.jpg@01CED962.88B1D020]
6724 Lockheed Drive, suite 4 Redding, CA 96002
Phone: (530) 275-3000 ext.110
Fax: (530) 221-2014
petere@unityelectric.com
www.unityelectric.com
Facebook | LinkedIn
Message 4 of 18
Chris.Aquino

From the description, it sounds like upgrading your graphics card could help. Having said that, I would also look for ways to reduce file size and\complexity.

But as I menttioned, when looking for hardware, I would check http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18?844534&siteID=123112 to find the list of tested cards.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 5 of 18

Hi,
I am experiencing a similar problem with the Revit 2014 and the nvidia Quadro 600 card. How did you end up resolving your issue?
It would be really helpful to hear from you
Thanks
Aimee Carnell
Building Designer
AUS
Message 6 of 18
peter57733

Hi there,

well the graphics card thing has not been fully resolved, But after talking with our IT guy (finally one that worked in a large design firm) he was telling me that they had problems with the quatro cards and switched to ATI cards and it resolved the issues related to the video cards, You know how it is working in a design firm you find the problem then you have to get quotes and then wait for the budget to bear the cost (almost there) when they tell me to get another card I will get with the IT guy and find out what one is the best one for my system.

Pete

P.S. I will up date this post when it happens so I can give card type ect.

Message 7 of 18

Which Graphics card did you go for in the end?

Message 8 of 18
peter57733

Well you know the old addage Hurry up and wait? well that is exactly what has happened here I had to go to our IT provider and make sure the card I had picked was plug and play with no funny business then get pricing and have it applied to the new budget for this year (not sure if all of that happened yet) but as far as the card goes I selected a quadro K2000 as it was a direct replacement for the card I hav now. So thanks for asking about this as it remindes me that I need to re visit the original request for it.

Pete

Message 9 of 18

Not resolved yet, The wheels of a company at times grind to a slow really slow pace in this case, still working to get it resolved I chose a Quadro K2000 as it is a direct replacement haven't got it as of yet still hopeful.

Pete

Message 10 of 18

Basically I have to buy workstation and the ones ive been looking at have on board graphics that on paper are msn enough to but in reality they can't

Sent from Samsung Mobile
Message 11 of 18

You might try going to new egg.com and you can put together a DIY computer and get all of the goodies you want I priced it all out some months ago and came up with a price of around $800.00 but they have some gaming computers that would have killer graphics cards and up to 16 gigs of ram and an i7 processor or you could get a multi core AMD 4-6 and even an 8 core for $400.00 for a tower and they wont have an on board graphics card, it will be the real deal. Anyway check it out. My company bought me a Dell for about $1500+ and it is on the network (now it has IT cooties) well anyway there are lots of options out there.

Good Luck,

Pete

Message 12 of 18

I like HP and will be sticking with them to be honest.

We have a load of HP 8200 with i7 ETC ETC and they are using AMD Radeon HD 6570 Grapgics cards which seem ok, the next model the 8300 had on board grpahics that on paper are the same spec as the AMD but in reality they are not man enough for the job.

So looking for a card to fit in the 8300

Message 13 of 18

I have heard good reports about the Radeon Cards, sounds like you have a handle on things, just find an HP with expansion slots in the back and buy a card of your liking for about 200 bucks and be done with it just don't forget to disable the on board card in the bios, but you knew that right?

Have a great week,

Pete

Message 14 of 18
AdamHamilton

Gentlemen - The main issue with the Quadro 600 is its whoafully under powered.

The quadro 600 which was quite popular in its day for standard workstations (not necessarily optimized for Graphics Production) had only 96 CUDA cores. The replacement card you spec'd the Quadro k2000 ($425 new-egg) has a higher but still... 384 cores.

My recommendation of the Geforce GTX 660 ($199 new-egg) has 960 cores! 3x cores for 1/2 the price.

I have had several discussions with Autodesk including the respondant Chris Aquino regarding the use of Consumer level cards as well as talking with reps at HP and Dell regarding the limitation of choices in Workstation machines. The fact is the Autodesk Certification is limited to only a small quantity of high-priced cards and I too often see users purchase a low-power "certified" card that doesn't perform than an equal price but high-power consumer level card.

All the best.

Adam

Message 15 of 18
peter57733
in reply to: AdamHamilton

Hey thanks for the Heads up on the cuda cores, the only reaseon I was looking at the K2000 is because our IT department was wanting to make sure we had a direct replacement, (whatever that means) as all the cards plug in the same right? as long as there arn't any fancy slots requiring a full chip set replacement to get the required video slot we are golden I guess, and maybe the IT dept is just being overly cautious. But the 199.99 vs the 400+ my people would accept especally when we see the performance of the cudas side by side.

Pete

Message 16 of 18
AdamHamilton

yup currently the vast majority of discrete graphics utilize the PCI-E slot. You will need a new driver as the Quadros and Geforces use a different version.

Message 17 of 18
peter57733
in reply to: AdamHamilton

The new driver is the least of my wories and the card will seek out the proper driver anyway on line got to love this plug and play stuff.

Message 18 of 18

My system meets the minimum requirements , I have an Intel i7 processor, 16 gb Ram, Windows 7 Pro., And enough of hard drive space, my video card is a nvidia Quadro 600. I am thinking because it is an low level video card it may be my quandary, I have been watching my performance on the task manager and I am getting large spikes on the hd, don’t know what the problem could be. My CPU & RAM seem just fine. I think I should just get a more powerful video drive like a upgrade to a GeForce GTX 660.

Thank you, Edward Hlavacek

AutoCAD Certified, Electrical Designer and 2013 MEP REVIT Trained Design Department

[cid:image002.jpg@01CED962.88B1D020]

6724 Lockheed Drive, suite 4 Redding, CA 96002

Phone: (206) 244-7542 ext.110

Fax: (530) 221-2014

ed@economywiring.com

www.economywiring.com

FaceBook | LinkedIn

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report