Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Annotation doesnt show in Electrical Equipment family.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
RedMan77
3157 Views, 6 Replies

Generic Annotation doesnt show in Electrical Equipment family.

So I have an electrical panel and in coarse view I would like it displayed in plan view with model lines.  These model lines would show the shape of a typical plan view of an electrical panel, while medium and fine view would show the physical 3d shape of the panel and the model lines would dissappear.  The only way I find this to work is chnage the family category from "electrical equipment to electrical fixture" and check the box, maintain annotation orientation.  However when I do this I seem to lose the benefits from Revit seeing this item as a panel and having circuits go to it.  So this isnt a a fix or even a work-around.

Can anyone help me figure out how to make an out-of the box panel see my generic annotations.  It should be noted that that the out of the box electrical panels ref level is a front view and under elevation view for front it looks like the plan view (and Revit wont allow me to put genreic annotation in front view).  Any suggestions would be most appreciative.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: RedMan77

You basically have two methods of accomplishing this:

Symbolic Lines

If you would like your panel to remain actual size regardless of the Plan View's scale, use Symbolic Lines to represent it. They can be drawn in any View (not just "Ref. Level") and can be constrained to the models actual geometry.

Generic Annotation

If you want the symbolic representation of your panel to scale annotatively according to the Plan View's scale, then use an embedded Generic Annotation. As you've stated, the OOTB Electrical Equipment templates do not show such annotations on Plan View, and you cannot place them in any other View except for "Ref. Level". Follow these steps to create a new template that WILL allow the annotation to be displayed as desired:

1. Create a new Family using the Generic Models - Wall Based template. Create a simple box extrusion and change its Category to Electrical Equipment.

2. Start a new Project, create a Wall, load this Family into the Project, and place one instance on the Wall. Save the Project somewhere temporarily.

3. Start another new Project and link the previous one into it. Use the Copy/Monitor tool to create a copy of the Family in this Project.

4. You can now export/save this Family somewhere for future use. The 'Wall Based' family behavior (regarding the Generic Annotation's display) is retained and the Family is converted to a Face-Based family through the Copy/Monitor procedure.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 7
RedMan77
in reply to: CoreyDaun

You rock.  Thanks for your time!

Message 4 of 7
drewj

That is a great tip, I 2nd the you rock sentiment 🙂

Message 5 of 7
pyziu

Just one question: do you load a generic annotation to "the first" (temporarily saved) family?

Message 6 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: pyziu

It doesn't matter whether you embed the Generic Annotation before or after the conversion process.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 7
nahmed.bim
in reply to: RedMan77

Thanks, now i have better understanding.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report