Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Annotation - Symbol - Lines do not snap

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
EricWiens
7609 Views, 23 Replies

Generic Annotation - Symbol - Lines do not snap

Hi,

We are creating SLD blocks for Revit using "symbols".  We are having trouble with the symbols and being able to snap to lines in the symbol while drawing in a detailed view.When using a detailed view we can place the symbol but only the reference lines from the origin are snapable.  In the family I have selected the lines  that I want to snap to while detailing and made sure that the proprties of the line "Reference" = Strong Reference and this does not seem to help.  This is very annoying as our symbols need several snap points in various locations. 

I have seen some references to Revit 2010 etc, but nothing regarding Revit MEP 2014.

Any suggestions?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
CoreyDaun
in reply to: EricWiens

If you are aiming to create components to be used in details and diagrams, create them as Detail Items. Generic Annotations are designed to symbolically represent a Family and possesses an annotative behavior. Due to this, one cannot reference anything except for the origin planes of a Generic Annotation. If you could, then your dimensions would drastically change (and likely becomes invalid) if the drawing scale should change.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 24
send2hamilton

It turns out that masking region and filled region boundaries are "snappable" in generic annotations.  You can outline the area you woudl like snappable for more functionality.  Note that labels show up over a filled region but other lines do not (they appear to show up in the family editor but they disappear when loaded into a project).  One option is to create a "blank" filled region set to transparent so that just the outline exists.  The only way I could find to create the "blank" region was to make a custom .pat file consisting of a single white dot with maximum spacing in x-y directions.  Blank pattern is attached if interested.

Message 4 of 24

It's worth considering when weighing pros/cons of creating an annotation vs. a detail item is that detail items can be keynoted.
Message 5 of 24
EricWiens
in reply to: send2hamilton

Yes, we tried out detailed items.  It appears to work.

Another interesting problem is going to be text size.  We may start the schematic off at 1:1 but then may change it to 1:10 or something to make it fit better on the page.  The text stays the same size.  This is an issue when the SLD get's so big that it almost fits on one page, and you need an another inch of paper to make it all fit.  In CAD it's easy just to tweak the scale a bit to make it fit.  Tweaking the scale is way better than creating a second page.  Our single line diagrams can be fairly large and we always try to make then fit on one page as long as they can be easily read.  Sometimes we have to use two pages, but that is rare.  I guess we work on fairly large complex buildings a lot, but not the gigantic ones.

Message 6 of 24
cdeel
in reply to: send2hamilton

This worked for us! Thank you.
Message 7 of 24
dannett2B232
in reply to: CoreyDaun

So is there a way to turn a Generic Annotation into a Detail Item or do I have to explain to my employer that I wasted an entire day and a half creating a library of schematic symbols that are functionally useless?

Message 8 of 24
fabiosato
in reply to: dannett2B232

Hello,

Unfortunatelly not, Generica Annotation are made in their real size in sheets, on the other hand Detail Items are made to represent the real size.

So when you change the scale of the view, let´s say from 1:50 to 1:100, a Generic Annotation will get bigger, while Detail Item will keep its size.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 24

This is a great idea and it is what I am doing. Using a blank pat file worked like a charm. Then you can load the same GA families into your 3D entities to have the same schematic representation on your plans as your schematics 😉

Message 10 of 24
scott_dakin2
in reply to: dannett2B232

Wasting a day and a half doing something in Revit is nothing. You'll waste much more than that later on. 😂

You mean the employer that has not put you on a training course to teach you how Revit works?

I wouldn't feel bad for them at all tbh...

Message 11 of 24

I don't see this type of stuff gets covered or absorbed in training courses. Theres all kinds of easter eggs and efficient tips that I learn solely from forums and the internet. I am the only Revit MEP Certified person in my area as far I know and Revit is only really catching on in the last three to four years here although I have been doing projects in Revit for almost ten.

I don't feel bad bad I just feel bad because I am always on the search to be more efficient. 🙂

Message 12 of 24

I have found the biggest problem with GA nested symbols, you can't filter! If you use Detail Items you can 

Message 13 of 24

Parabéns pela solução !! 

Message 14 of 24

Back down this rabbit hole. What is everyone doing for an as built stamp? 

I want a symbol to insert on sheets which has snapping lines and the ability to move around to a blank location on the sheet.

If I use a detail item I can't add it directly to a sheet only as a legend which removes the abilty to snap lines.

Generic Annotations cannot snap.

Next solution I will try is adding the symbol directly to the title sheet family with a multi position parameter.

Any other ideas?

Message 15 of 24

My preferred method is to put the Record Drawings language directly in the title block where the stamp was.  This way you don't have to find a blank spot for it on every sheet.

Message 16 of 24

Mine too but not our standard

Message 17 of 24
curtisridenour

you can add Reference Planes to a legend so it snaps on to the edges of the title block 

curtisridenour_0-1701290319197.png

Message 18 of 24

what do you mean by Generic Annotations cannot snap? i just created a generic annotation that snaps to my title block just fine.

curtisridenour_0-1701290731419.png

Message 19 of 24

Only the origin planes. You can't have all sides of a box snap

Message 20 of 24

OooooooI didn't realize that!!! Thanks!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report