Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fully loaded Transformer

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jjones
1337 Views, 9 Replies

Fully loaded Transformer

My company resently decided to start using Revit in all disciplines. I have gotten a pretty good grasp on everything so far but I still can't figure out how to do this. 

We want a transformer that shows fully loaded. When we size our panelboards we like to have the full load shown. I would like to use the transformer so that the full system is shown connected in the system browser. 

Right now I fake it. I put in a spare in the high voltage panelboard and change it to what I want but that leaves the low voltage panelboard unconnected. 

Any ideas. Using REVIT 2013.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: jjones

Do you have all of your branch panels on the secondary side connected to the transformer?

⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗
Welcome to the Autodesk forums, jjones!
Feel free to post any questions you may have! There are many experienced users here who generously contribute their time and effort to supporting
their peers. This is an open, peer-supported forum, so feel free to contribute any useful information or experiences to any of the topics you see here.
We hope you'll stick around a while and help strengthen the value of this community!
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Be sure to review the Ground Rules, visit the FAQ Forum, and use the Search feature prior to posting a question, as it's likely been asked before.
⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 10
jjones

Yes but these panels aren't fully loaded. We want the load on the high voltage panel from the transformer to show fully loaded.   

So basically a 45KVA transformer would show 15KVA load in each phase regardless of what is connected on the secondary side. 

Message 4 of 10
CoreyDaun

Then I would recommend disconnecting the Branch Panels and everything else from the secondary side of the Transformers, and then create a "Full Load" parameter in the Transformer Families that is linked to the Apparent Load parameters within the Electrical Connector. (Let let me know if you would like this explained more thoroughly).

The reason for this is that if the transformer (without secondary circuits) is connected to the panel on the primary side, it will read the load values that are defined by the Electrical Connector, which in this case would be your "Full Load" parameter. However, as soon as any electrical circuits are connected to the transformer's secondary side, the feeder panel will see that "real" apparent load and outright ignore the load values defined by the Connector.

So, in senses, you can have a pre-defined, fixed load for a transformer as long as it does have any dependent circuits, and once you start connecting circuits to it, the primary panel will read the actual load instead of the pre-defined load.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 10
jjones

Yeah that is the only solution I have really seen and the problem with that is then you don't have the full path from the main switchboard down to the individual components. Which is what I was trying to acheive. 

I understand why Revit does it but the managers here want it to show the way they have always done it. Think I am just gonna say it can't be done. Either have to fake it or allow it to show the "real" load. 

Thanks

Message 6 of 10
CoreyDaun

What do you show on your final schedules? The full load or the actual load?

Message 7 of 10
jjones

Full load. 

Message 8 of 10
CoreyDaun

I found a way to accomplish this, but it takes a little bit of manual work. Take a look at the attached images and see if those are the results you are seeking. The manual work involves:

1. Entering a Transformer Size into the Secondary Circuit, which need only be done once per transformer.

2. Placing a "proxy balancing load" which must be placed for each transformer. (It doesn't print)

3. Using an electrical schedule to match the balancing load with the delta load (basically copying a number).

I will elaborate more on this if you are interested. Also, I can email you this .rvt as a sample (too big to post here).

Message 9 of 10
jjones

I think I understand it but I think the best solution is either not having the full system browser path filled in or showing actual load.If Revit can ever create a one-line from the system browser then we will have to go with actual and fooling it probably won't be the best of ideas anyways. 

Thanks for the help. 

Message 10 of 10

I was reading your solution to the Transformer, total connected load, could you email me or post me something to understand more, Gwhitaker@afjmc.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report