Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixture units vs flow

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
veb
Observer
4661 Views, 12 Replies

Fixture units vs flow

Hello

I am an engineer from Iceland and I have been having trouble with calculating pipe sizes for domestic hot and cold water. Here in Iceland we assign flow to each plumbing fixture ( f.ex. kitchen sink has flow=0,2 l/s) then as they sum up we use a factor equation to calculate the biggest probable flow in the pipe. (We use Eurocode and Danish standard)
Is it possible in Revit MEP to calculate this way?

You use fixture units, which I have been reading a little bit upon. I think I could possibly use that option if the other one is not possible, but I have run into some difficulties. When I have set my plumbing fixture, f.ex. kitchen sink, to flow configuration= fixture units and fixture units=1,0 and then read what my pipes connected say, the hot domestic water says my flow=0.1893 l/s and fixture units=1 which is quite normal but the cold domestic water on the other hand says flow=0.9464 l/s and fixture units=1. The warm domestic water flow seems to be out of the charts for just one kitchen sink! Can anyone possibly explain to me what I might be doing wrong, or maybe I am misunderstanding the way you calculate.

Best regards,

Asdis

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: veb

To help the community get a better idea of what you are seeing, please reply with a small file showing the behavior.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 13
PCadima
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Hi

I have the same problem if the FU are below 8 the flow rate is always calculated to 0.9464l/s which is excessive (see attached image).

After the FU 8 the volume changes but is still higher that the one indicated in Table E103.3. This is a problem since withought the flow we end up having to manually size the pipework which ends up taking more time.

Untitled.jpg

Message 4 of 13
konrad.kosiba
in reply to: PCadima

Check pipe system properties and change Flow Conversion Method (for Flush Valves minimum FU in IPC is 5. for Flush Tanks minimum is 1)

Message 5 of 13
D.Svigir

Hello,

to everybody. I'm MEP engineer from Croatia and I work in firm which is Autodesk Gold Partner. We work in Autodesk Revit our projects, BIM implementation, trainings and we also are developing tools for simpler use of Revit. Currently we have developed addin for Domestic Water Systems. This addin adds new calculation method for Plumbing Fixtures using FU. Calculation method is based on DIN 1988-W308 norm, also we have added the elevation loss calculation through addin. Applications can calculate critical path based on line pressure loss in pipes and elevation loss.

You can find our application on Autodesk Exchange.

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3awatersystemcalcula...

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 13
maxhough
in reply to: D.Svigir

Hello,

Would you consider writing a similar app for Australian fixture units?

Message 7 of 13
D.Svigir
in reply to: maxhough

Hello maxhough,

could you send me some materials about Australian fixture units norm on e-mail: bimline@intelika.hr

I will review sented items and considered about developing app according for Australian FU.

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 13
fschwartz

I have not been able to get hot water fixture units to transfer from the hot water water heater connector to the cold water side. I have tried different settings for the connector properties, but none works. If I only connect hot and cold from a faucet to the water heater, I get proper FU. As soon as I create a Tee to feed cold water into the system, the FU's no longer properly calculate. Anyone have a solution?

Message 9 of 13
fabiosato
in reply to: fschwartz

Hello,

You are using the flow configuration as Fixture Units in the connector properties?

If yes this means the connectors properties may look the attached images, right?

I believe you have linked to the fixture units parameter in the connector some instance parameter, and that´s fine.

The problem is that, when the flow configuration is set to fixture units, the behavior is similar to preset setting.

After linking a parameter to the connector fixture units parameter, change the flow configuration to calculated on the hot water connector, if you want to sum the flow in it. The cold water connector can be left as is.

The trick is that you, in the hot water connector, the flow parameter is available, and the fixture units is greyed out, but THE PARAMETER IS STILL LINKED TO THE CONNECTOR, so it will calculate the flow in fixture units.

I hope it is clear enough for you, if not please ask.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
fschwartz
in reply to: fabiosato

Fabiosato - thanks for your reply; however, setting connectors as you
suggest does not work for me. Whichever connector is set to calculated has 0
FU and 0 flow. My solution was to set both connectors to fixture units, link
them to FU parameters in the family, and manually enter the hot and cold
FU's that I add up from the connected fixtures into the type properties.

Fred Schwartz

Senior Engineer

Taitem Engineering, PC

110 S. Albany Street, Ithaca, NY 14850

Voice: (607) 277-1118 x102

Mobile: (607) 592-0020

www.taitem.com
Message 11 of 13
fabiosato
in reply to: fschwartz

Hello,

Do you have any fixture units flow source connected to the system?

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
ingerick77

HI

the app is still on line? i can't find it

Message 13 of 13
bejenaru.a

Dear D.Svigir

I find your addin quite interesting. 

Could you share with us the Plumbing Fixture-FU table for the DIN 1988?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report