Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Re-hosting

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
asommer
583 Views, 5 Replies

Family Re-hosting

I have a bunch of various families from manufacturers, mainly light fixtures. They are "Ceiling Hosted", and I need them to be "Face Hosted". I had success before with copying and pasting into a face based family, but these won't copy (selecting all objects in the family). Is this just what happens sometimes, or am I missing something?

I really wish that the families would have a "host" selector in the editor. I don't see the reason why not.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Richie535
in reply to: asommer

I'm not sure how to answer your question. I think you might be able to answer mine though. I have downloaded light fixture families from the manufacturers website as well, but when I load the family into my project I don't have a hosting option. All that shows up is "Model In-place" and "Load Family". Wouldn't happen to know would you?

Thanks.
Message 3 of 6
asommer

Some of the fixtures are NOT hosted at all, even though they may be "Ceiling Fixtures". these go in, typically on the floor, and then you change the elevation manually. this is easiest to do with a section.
Message 4 of 6
LynR

I just came across your mail whilst searching for some help. I have also had problems with hosting lights but I was reading an Autodesk article that I downloaded a while ago, pretty sure it was from AU, called "the key is in the content" it states:
" any custom family created with the ceiling or wall based templates will be un-usable fro most Revit MEP users."

Since the normal instructions are to start with the "appropriate" template this is a really big gaffe on the part of Autodesk. You have to use the Generic model face based.rft template. I wonder if the manufacturers have been aware of this.
I am so sick of the amount of stuff that doesn't work properly, it seems like everything is a hassle.
Message 5 of 6
JanYoder7484

Thanks for the link you posted. Very helpful.
Message 6 of 6
RandMan
in reply to: JanYoder7484

Would someone please help clarify this issue?  I want most all of my stuff to be hosted by a level, not a face.  Is the only solution to rebuild some families, if they currently default to a face?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report