Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Editor Connector Types Fitting and Global - Please explain use.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mariusvanwyk2216
4094 Views, 3 Replies

Family Editor Connector Types Fitting and Global - Please explain use.

Hi All,

Under duct and pipe connectors in the family editor there is two types I am not sure of.

1. Fitting (where and when and for used).

2. Global (where and when used).

(thought if you create a fitting you will still select either Exhaust,Supply, Return or other air as connector type.)

When searching help as shown below it only mentions:

Revit Families, Connectors,

Duct

When a component with an duct connector is selected, the Create Systems panel displays one or more of the following tools, which allow you to create a specific HVAC system: Air Supply, Air Return, Exhaust.

Pipe Connector

Pipe connectors are used with hydronic systems, plumbing systems, and fire protection systems.

When a component with a hydronic pipe connector is selected, one or more of the following tools are available which allow you to create a specific hydronic piping system: Supply, Return, Other.

When a component with a plumbing (pipe) connector is selected, one or more of the following tools are available which allow you to create a specific plumbing system: Sanitary, Domestic Hot Water, Domestic Cold Water, Other.

When a component with a fire protection (pipe) connector is selected, one or more of the following tools are available which allow you to create a specific electrical system (from left to right: Wet Sprinkler, Dry Sprinkler, Preactive, Other).

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Generally fitting connectors should be used on fittings. They apply when you don't necessarily want to define up front what system type will be associated with the connector. An elbow, in many cases, for example isn't system specific. You can use an elbow for supply, return, whatever, so you would use a fitting connector.

The global connector is similar to the fitting connector, but not used for fittings. A pump, for example, might be used for hydronic supply / return, or it might be used for domestic water. In these cases you would use a global connector, that allows the system type to be "propagated" from other things in the system that define it.

jason

Message 3 of 4
SLDBrown
in reply to: jason.martin

I have done some experimenting regarding the use of "Global or Fitting" settings for connectors. I created a concentric reducer family. When I established my connectors as "fittings", they did not assume the associated pipe system when the reducer was inserted into the project. When I used "Global" the current piping system as applied to my reducer fitting. Someone let me know if there is a better or more correct practice.

Message 4 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: SLDBrown

Hello,

I assume that your Family is of the Pipe Fittings, correct? The element should be adopting the appropriate Pipe System with it's Connectors set to "Fitting". Can you explain or walk through the process you followed in which the element did not assume the Pipe System?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report