Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Conundrum - sweep path & compound angle

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AndrewHill1017
455 Views, 6 Replies

Family Conundrum - sweep path & compound angle

I'm having a problem with an element of a complex family. I want to create a reference line at a compound angle controllable by parameters. To visualise this imagine a cuboid with parameters for length, width and height. Now envisage a reference line (my sweep path) anchored to the lower, front, left corner and the upper, back, right. Adjust length, width or height and the reference line follows.

I can nearly accomplish this with reference planes (front, back, left, right, bottom and top) and an adjustable angled plane to host the reference line. However I can only anchor the reference line front and back and left. Not right?

Any family wizards out there with a solution?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: AndrewHill1017

I've made my share of complex and over-detailed families, though I don't think I'm quite at "wizard" level. I can basically envision what you are doing, but I think posting the Family (if possible) would be for the best...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7

This will hopefully be an element of a larger, more complex, family but I've attached an example of what I'm trying to achieve. Note the Rectangular extrusion isn't a requirement I just placed it in as a visual aid (wireframe).

If you go to the ref view and flex the back plane it's looking good. Then try it in the front view and flex the top and right planes...

Message 4 of 7
CoreyDaun

Ref Lines are 2D. That's why it's being troublesome. Are you intending this family to be controlled by the size of the bounding box?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
CoreyDaun

Well, regardless of the method of control, I believe you will have to create a two-layer family. The embedded one houses the sweep and calculates its overall length as well as two of its dimensions which will be linked to the primary family file. When this family is loaded in, it can be Grouped with a reference line with an angular constraint that controls its angle in the third dimension. I can create an example of what I'm talking about, just not at the current moment.

Message 6 of 7

Thanks for the advice! What you're proposing does make sense... I'll give it a try.

Message 7 of 7

Just to let you know that worked fine. Thanks for taking the time to post a solution!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report