Revit MEP

Mentor
norcaljess
Message 11 of 17 (463 Views)

Re: Face Based Family won't host

02-15-2012 11:30 AM in reply to: justins

You're welcome.  I still haven't learned what the lighting families contain that prevent our air terminals from hosting to the ceiling but I've added this "isolate elements" form of trouble shooting to my list of things to check in the future when a family is acting contrary to the norm.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 12 of 17 (458 Views)

02-15-2012 12:37 PM in reply to: norcaljess

Question: After placing your hosted Air Terminals on the face of the linked ceiling, what does "Host" read under its Properties?

I cannot get a face-based fixture to host to a linked ceiling in this project, period. I can go into a Section and designate the ceiling face as the current Work Plane and then place the fixtures. And I made a fake test project with a linked ceiling, and it worked without any issues. It may have to do with the way the architect created the ceilings...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Mentor
norcaljess
Message 13 of 17 (453 Views)

02-15-2012 02:09 PM in reply to: CADastrophe

The Host in the properties reads: Linked Revit Model:... and then the name of the architectural revit model that I have linked.  So even if you go into the View Graphics of the Revit Links and make a custom view where you turn off everything but the Ceilings category, it still won't work?

Valued Mentor
julianjameson8403
Message 14 of 17 (447 Views)

02-16-2012 01:52 AM in reply to: norcaljess

Guys - just a thought on levels.

If you have ceilinglinked then don't you create plenum levels to create spaces? If so, can't you just change the hosting from face to hosting by plane - the plane being the relevant plenum level? Or have you guys tried that already.

Just thinking of a short term easy work around without adding additional ref planes, etc or spending ages trying to work out the illogical works of Revit/Architects.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 15 of 17 (443 Views)

02-16-2012 05:50 AM in reply to: norcaljess

Just ceilings doesn't work, either. I looked at one of the ceilings that were copied over from the Arch model and it seems to be beyond MEP's comprehension. When selected, it does not register a Type (blank in the Type Selector) and when Type Properties is selected, its devoid of everything except the typical Identity Parameters (Keynote, Model, Type Comment, etc.). Advanced RAC abilities I assume.

Icon.JPG julianjameson8403 - That's the way to do it, but I was just aiming to figure out one of the many, many "why's" of Revit.

Our firm copies over the ceiling so that we can manipulate the grid, so this issue is not a direct problem for us.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Valued Mentor
julianjameson8403
Message 16 of 17 (434 Views)

02-16-2012 06:13 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Oh the why's of Revit - one could waste their life trying to work out why things don't behave the way they should!!

Just some thoughts on possibly locating the cause:-

Have you tested different types of ceiling in the linked model - i.e checked if it is anything to do with OOTB ceilings as compared to Architect made ceilings?

What happens to the behaviour if you remove the architect's light fittings from their model? What happens if you change their fittings to something that doesn't automatically cut holes in the ceilings?

Do the combinations of ceilings and lighting fittings cause the problem - i.e does the same combo break elsewhere or is athere a specific combo that causes the problem?

I noticed that in RAC 2012 the light fittings automatically cut holes in ceilings irrespective of the check box in the family categories. Not sure if that happened in 2011 as not an Architect (fortunately) but wonder if that functionality is now causeing this problem for certain types of ceilings?

Not sure how many of these you have looked at or mentioned previously but just putting them out there as ideas.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
addisu
Message 17 of 17 (220 Views)

09-20-2013 09:26 AM in reply to: norcaljess

In case anybody is still interested. What I did is cut a section to the area where I was having a problem hosting a ceiling based air terminals. I created a 3D view and oriented the view to the section. Then I hosted the air terminal to the face of the ceiling. Walla it hosted.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube