Revit MEP

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 11 of 20 (469 Views)

Re: Exporting Revit to CAD - Layers

01-20-2014 08:22 AM in reply to: davem

The "Color ID" override of the Modifiers is only assigned to the Categories/Subcategories that include that particular Modifier in the Export Setup dialog; it is not a global override.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Contributor
davem
Message 12 of 20 (466 Views)

01-20-2014 08:36 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Right, I understand that. This is what I did ...

1. Under the Generic Annotations Category I added the {Workset} layer modifier. This ended up separating the annotations into individual layers like I wanted, but kept each annotoation type the same color.

2. Next, under the Modifiers section at bottom of the Layers tab in Export Setup I went to Worksets and changed the Color ID for the worksets in question from "Blank" to a different color for each. This did not change the color of the annotations in the Cad export file.

I would imagine that by changing the Color ID on a workset, that whatever Category was on that Workset in the Revit model and had the {Workset} modifier added to it in the Export Setup would change to the specified color I set that workset to. That doesnt seem to be the case here tho.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 13 of 20 (462 Views)

01-20-2014 08:48 AM in reply to: davem

Are the Layers in the AutoCAD export set to the correct color? If you have a View Filter that is applying a color override and your "Export Layer Options:" (in the Export Setup Dialog) is set to the default "Export category properties BYLAYER and overrides BYENTITY", the exported elements will be set to the correct Layer, but will their color will be set according to the View Filter in Revit.

Also, what version of Revit are you using? It is possible that behavior may differ between releases.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Contributor
davem
Message 14 of 20 (455 Views)

01-20-2014 08:58 AM in reply to: CADastrophe
I can change the color of the layer within the CAD export file, but I would rather it do that for me right from Revit as I will need to be sending these CAD files multiple times through the CD phase of the project. I dont know where a View Filter would have been applied to do this.

I am using Revit 2014.
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 15 of 20 (450 Views)

01-20-2014 09:15 AM in reply to: davem

Alright - I'm using Revit 2014, too.

So when you export from Revit, the AutoCAD Layers are not being assigned the appropriate color according to the Modifier's "Color ID"? If there is something in the Revit View that is overriding the color of the elements, such as a View Filter (which can be found under V/G Overrides > View Filters tab) or even Phase Filters, then Revit will apply that color to the individual elements instead of the Modifier's "Color ID" override. What is your "Export Layer Options:" set to?

Contributor
davem
Message 16 of 20 (445 Views)

01-20-2014 09:25 AM in reply to: CADastrophe
That is correct. The AutoCAD Layers are being assigned the color that the Generic Annotations Category is set to in the Export Setup screen instead of the Workset Modifer Color ID.

The only View Filter is for Duct Bank, which doesnt have anything to do with this issue.

For the "Export Layer Options:" I have tried "Export category properties BYLAYER and overrides BYENTITY" as well as "Export all properties BYLAYER, but do not export overrides" with the same results.
*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 17 of 20 (439 Views)

01-20-2014 09:47 AM in reply to: davem

OK. Below are some mundane things to double-check.

- Is there an additional Modifier applied to the Generic Annotations Category?

- Do the Generic Annotations belong to a Subcategory?

- Was the Modifier accidentally added to a Subcategory or to another Category such as "Generic Models", instead?

- For some reason, is the incorrect file being opened in AutoCAD? Maybe the export path/filename was changed?

Sorry if these seem overly basic, but I find that the root of many troubles frequently lies in a simple mistake, or it's so obvious that it's overlooked. Beyond this, I'm not sure what is causing your export to fail. If the above all checks out OK, would you be able to post a sample Project file here? It can be blank and purged - the only important thing we need to see/test is your Export Settings.

Contributor
davem
Message 18 of 20 (432 Views)

01-20-2014 10:07 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

- The only Modifiers are shown in the first attached picture.

- When going into the Family Edit of the Generic Annotation and clicking on one of the lines, would this have something to do with it? (see second attached picture).

- No.

- No.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 19 of 20 (428 Views)

01-20-2014 10:26 AM in reply to: davem

I think I got it (and learned something new today) - it has to do with the Workset Modifier coming before {Generic Annotations}. The bottommost listing has the highest priority, so what Revit is doing is basically applying the Modifier's Color ID override first, and then overriding that with the Generic Annotation Category's Color ID since it's on the bottom. In order to correct this, either move the Workset Modifier to the bottom OR blank out the Color ID for the Generic Annotations Category.

Contributor
davem
Message 20 of 20 (424 Views)

01-20-2014 10:30 AM in reply to: CADastrophe
Wow! Good catch. I moved the Workset modifier to the top of the list thinking that the topmost listing has the highest priority. It works great now. Thanks a ton man!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube