Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to CAD Issue

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
norcaljess
402 Views, 6 Replies

Export to CAD Issue

I have a doozy!  We have been working with a mechanical contracting company to do coordination.  Up until this week, they have been receiving our Revit file, exporting a 3D view to AutoCAD, then importing that view into Navisworks.  This week they had me do the export because Revit is crashing after I upload our model to them.  They are telling me that before, when they did the export, it was showing existing pipe/duct on an "EXST" layer in CAD.  However, now when I am doing the export, all duct/pipe is on the same layer, with no differentiation between existing and new.  Does anyone have any idea what I can do to export in a way that the layers in CAD do this for them?

Thanks!

Jess

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jrobker
in reply to: norcaljess

Previous to 2012 you couldn't

In 2012 you can go to the export settings and specify which layers of the same category you want to differentiate.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 7
norcaljess
in reply to: Jrobker

Really?  I opened my Export Layers Options and there is a category for "Existing" with settings to name the layer "-EXST".  Is there something different in 2012?

Thanks

Jess

Message 4 of 7
Jrobker

Ohhhh... ya your right.

That was based off of the phase settings.

I was talking about having the ability to export duct based off of system and assigned a different layer rather than just exporting all of the ductwork to just M-HVAC-DUCT. Soooo, that didn't even apply to your original question.

If your elements are assigned the existing phase than it should be exporting those with-EXST appended to the end of the layer name.

I just did a test in 2011 and it works.

Are you using the defaults in the export dialog?

Maybe there is a glitch if you change any of the properties.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 5 of 7
norcaljess
in reply to: Jrobker

I tried it with the default export properties.  I tried changing some of the properties.  Maybe it's just a glitch with my version of Revit??  This is annoying.

Message 6 of 7
Jrobker

I would start a new model using the default OOTB template, model 2 pieces of duct and make one existing. Export that file and see if that works.

We than will be able to narrow down what's going on.

Message 7 of 7

Have you asked the contractor for their .txt file that they use for CAD exports?

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report