Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing electrical panels w/added remodels

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
justin.sebastian
1134 Views, 9 Replies

Existing electrical panels w/added remodels

I am new to Revit MEP and wanting to know if it is possible to reference in an existing electrical layout with panels, schedules everything, and add my new work to the existing stuff without having to copy everything into my drawing. Feel free to expand on this as much as you'd like, all help is appreciated at this point.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

To be honest - it all depends on what you are trying to achieve, what your deliverables are and what your starting point inputs are. If you want to use it as an upgraded drawing tool (not really what it was designed for) then you can. If you want to use it in a more intelligent then you won't be able to just connect the new to the existing. You can link in the existing but will have to replace the linked models panels with panels in your model and work from there.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 10

So if I want to figure loads on my panel schedules and add new circuits to the existing, does this mean that I have to copy in every single light, receptacle, panel, disconnect, etc.?

Message 4 of 10

also, if this is the solution, is there something similar to copy nested objects in AutoCAD, where I can just copy the stuff in exactly where it is, also tie it to my company's model vs it being tied to the company that done the original design(these are exactly the same except with our add-on)

Message 5 of 10
dennis
in reply to: justin.sebastian

Review your Copy/Monitor Options, particularly the Batch capabilities to pull over, for example, all the light fixtures out of a link into your model.

Message 6 of 10
justin.sebastian
in reply to: dennis

I'll check it out. Thanks for the help. We just started using Revit here, and it's been a pain this first week or 2, especially since it's a renovation that another company done.

Message 7 of 10

I presume you are refurbing or extending an existing area?

If so, my initial thoughts are that you may need to consider opening a copy of the existing model and incorporate the phasing tool in your model, putting all existing stuff on the existing phase, new stuff on a new phase and keep stuff that is common to both phases in a new+exsiting phase. Don't get too carried away with phasing as the tool is good as an idea put does not work too well for MEP in practice. It's fiddly and beasr no resemblance to real life phasing on site.

Other than that, so long as you are not amending any existing circuits, you could just link in the model and then add panels to your model. Then replicate the circuits in the panels but using spares to give the existing value so you can keep track of your total panel load. For those elements of existing circuits which need modifying, you could copy/monitor these fittings through and re-circuit. This is a bit of a cumbersome workflow and has a higher human error factor but may achieve what you are looking for. It all depends on how much modification you are going to do, etc.

Thank you!
Message 8 of 10

Yes, sorry, I should have made this clear, all we are doing is demolishing(not really happening, the building isn't even built yet, they are just now starting construction, but we are doing a MOD to their plans) 1 exterior wall and adding an interior wall back in its place. We will then have to demolish only 2-3 things from existing electrical which will be 1 exterior light, which will move out to the new exterior, and 2 weatherproof receptacles that will do the same. Not a big deal or a very big load at all, this is just to learn what to do, and how to show other people that I work with how this is done. So for the reason of practice, lets just say that these are coming off of thier circuits and going on new ones..... That help anymore? Once again thanks in advance for the help.

Message 9 of 10

I think that based on that - phasing within the existing model would be the way to do it. It won't be without problems as phasing in Revit is limited in Revit. However with a little imagination and relaxation of "old Fashioned" ways of doing things you should be able to meet your goal. Initially I think you would do as follows:-

• Create an existing phase in Revit (ususally there as default). Add all existing fixtures to that phase.
  • Remove existing elements from panels that are to be demolished/stripped out.
  • Add those to a demolition phase.
  • Add new fixtures to a "new" phase and circuit back to the board.

I have attached a screen shot of something I quickly made to check it works properly. 1 Panel and 3 socket outlets. One on each phase as listed and using phase filters in the views they can display differently. Only trouble is I couldn't get the panel to have pre demo values and then post demo values so you will have to go with post demo values for your schedule.

Thank you!
Message 10 of 10
justin.sebastian
in reply to: dennis

When I copy/Monitor my lights in, they come in 16'-10" although my original lights are at 16'-0" Why is this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report