Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ElumTools slowing large model down

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
stevenmerkel4945
802 Views, 9 Replies

ElumTools slowing large model down

I know it Elumtools slowing down my MEP 2012 revit model. Ive uninstalled Etools and the model speeds back up. The slow down is when I am coping, placing or moving lighting fixtures. Anyone have any ideas?

I know you probably want my computer specs and what not. But trust me this comuter is super beefy. Way past the min requirements for the addon.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
adam.jw
in reply to: stevenmerkel4945

If it is indeed ElumTools.

Rather than re-installing.

Just rename the add-in file so that it won't load when Revit starts.

Do all your non ElumTools work. And then when you need to use ElumTools. Just un-rename the add-in.

For example:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\REVIT\Addins\2012\ElumTools.AddIn

rename to

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\REVIT\Addins\2012\ElumTools.AddIn.bak

in reply to: adam.jw

Thank you. I will try that.

Message 4 of 10
adam.jw

Would you also PLEASE let the agi32 people know about this?

Send them your model (etransmit it and zip it up) so they can investigate where the slowdown is occuring.

It will help all of us. And it may help you because they might find that it has nothing to do with ElumTools and something to do with your particular workstation's configuration.

🙂

I cannot due to non discolure act I had to sign.

Message 6 of 10
dwernli

I registered just to add that I am in the same boat. I have verified that it is in fact ElumTools causing the slowdown. I have uninstalled and reinstalled - without the add on it runs at normal speed, with the addon every time you move or adjust or place a single fixture the program freezes for a good 10 seconds. It will do this even if the license is not active and no calculations are being run. We have several users in the same model without ElumTools installed that work just fine at the same moments that I have the difficulty. I also cannot hand over the actual model due to security/NDA issues. But I would bet any large enough model would behave the same way. I can remove all of the Arch/Struct linked models and it's still just as slow. The issue should be fairly easy to recreate. As far as disabling the addon - There is no .addin file for ElumTools, and no folder in the addins directory. In fact I can't find a single file called ElumTools anything... So, I'm at a loss of where to go for a temporary disabling of the software.
Message 7 of 10
adam.jw

Mine is located here:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\REVIT\Addins\2014\ElumTools.AddIn

Here is some more information for your reading pleasure:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=20143032

Renaming or moving the ".AddIn" file will cause Revit to not load it upon start-up.

Here is my Revit 2014 ribbon after the add-in has been renamed:

addin renamed.JPG

And now you'll notice it appear in my ribbon once it has been renamed back to it's original extension:

back to normal.JPG

Additionally, add-ins may also be found in the AppData directory for your profile:

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\YEAR

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\YEAR

Easy way to get there, enter this in the start menu or Run command:

%appdata%\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\

We believe this issue was resolved a couple versions ago.  Please install the latest update (2015.11, 2016.8, 2017.4) and the performance should improve substantially.

Message 10 of 10
bsammis

Stop using Revit 2012 and upgrade to something less than 5 years old is my first suggestion.

If that's not an option due to contractual requirements or whatever, change the ElumTools settings so that the Luminaire Validation Alerts, Reset Invalid Results, and Show Alerts are all set to "False."  This disables the automated vetting of fixtures/calculated values that is causing your slowdown.  You should also customize your stopping criteria down from .99 to .85 - anything below that and it starts to alter the results.  I spent a couple of days testing just how low I could drop that number while maintaining consistent results.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report