Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Panel will not re-host.

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
nick_bee
2138 Views, 29 Replies

Electrical Panel will not re-host.

Trying to re-host the panel to a differnt wall by "Pick New", but the button on the ribbon is grayed out.  It is currently linked to the Arch Model. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
abulla
in reply to: Revit_is_Useless

At this point, I'm seriously considering recreating the panel families to be non-hosted, at least in 2013. Alledgedly the issue has been fixed in 2014, I'm going to do some testing later today to see if that's true.
Message 22 of 30
abulla
in reply to: abulla

Just did a test in 2014. I filled up a 42 circuit panel with individually circuited outlets, and I was able to re-host the panel with no problems. Now to get a job in 2014...
Message 23 of 30
Revit_is_Useless

was the panel itself circuited to a piece of gear or distribution?

Message 24 of 30
abulla
in reply to: Revit_is_Useless

Good point. I tested it again, this time I circuited the full panel to a transformer, and it still let me re-host it. I'm getting dangerously optimistic.
Message 25 of 30
rebmickens

Are u just going to edit the family or create one from scratch?
Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone
Message 26 of 30
adam.jw
in reply to: rebmickens

I can confirm that you can now re-host both Electrical Panels and Electrical Fixtures after they've been fully loaded with circuits/devices!!!

This is a huge huge huge huge huge huge huge huge huge bug fix. And is going to make our lives much more easier.

Unfortunately, all our current projects in Revit 2013 can't benefit from this bug fix. 😞 Maybe I can convince my archi-pals to upgrade the project model.)

So you all know, I upgraded a large high school built in 2013(Architect's model, my MEP model, the whole bit) to 2014 and the devices that I was previously unable to re-host in 2013 are now re-hostable!

Huzzah!

in reply to: adam.jw

Good to hear that this may well be fixed. I got burned by this one. I submitted the problem via the Suggestions link and I did get a response from support, whose suggestion was that of Revit_is_useless, rather than remove the individual circuits from the panel, de-circuit the entire panel from its source. I'll be waiting for our next project, and Revit 2014 Service pack 1 to see the fix in action for myself.

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 28 of 30
tkendrick
in reply to: tkendrick

For those who have not made the jump to 2014 from 2013, there is a hotfix to the electrical panel re-host problem.

Download here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=22002661&linkID=21208796

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 29 of 30
adam.jw
in reply to: tkendrick

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Testing it now.... 

Anddddddd BINGO!

Before: http://i.imgur.com/kwMXp7m.png

After: http://i.imgur.com/vgk3hIa.png

!!!!!!!!! IT WORKS IT WORKS IT WORKS IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK JEBUS!

This has pretty much made this the best day ever, and it's not even 10AM PST yet.

So yes. This hotfix will fix the re-host issue in 2013. So. Happy.

in reply to: adam.jw

A couple caveats. In case anyone is wondering.

Re-hosting your panels and electrical fixtures (yup, those too!) will take a VERY long time. This is because (I am assuming) of the dependancies generated in the database by all these items. Which is why the "New Host" button got grayed out --- because of the time it would take to resolve these dependancies.

So I'm thinking this hotfix just over-rides that "feature" (that disables re-hosting) --- but doesn't fix the underlying problem of the amount of time it takes to resolve these dependancies (like it feels like they did in Revit 2014).

ALSO: Dragons:

It seems that we've gotten a couple fatal errors related to this hotfix. This could be that our model is just huge and sloppy. But I won't rule out this hotfix until after I've heard back from Autodesk support. I have a hunch that our families are just too complex and big... and we have a lot of them... and they're all circuited together... and yeah. So just be careful as you move forward on any existing 2013 projects you need to re-host things on with this hotfix.

Other than that. It has saved us a f***-ton of time. Re-adding circuits to a panel is a nightmare, and while it is slow to rehost... it's a whole lot faster than the work around!

I'll keep posting to here incase I found out any other weirdnesses.

---Adam

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report