Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Panel will not re-host.

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
nick_bee
2139 Views, 29 Replies

Electrical Panel will not re-host.

Trying to re-host the panel to a differnt wall by "Pick New", but the button on the ribbon is grayed out.  It is currently linked to the Arch Model. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
markmcmicheal
in reply to: nick_bee

Check the properties pallette to make sure the elevation for the panel is appropriate for the level you are trying to host the panel too.  Sometimes, you get a rehosted item that has a weird elevation if you don't pay attention to the properites and it will be like -20-ft below the level you're trying to host to.  Since the wall does not exist at the elevation, the panel can not host itself to it.

Often a quick fix can be to pick new workplan and pick the wall face.

Message 3 of 30
mniemeyer

Had a similatr problem.  We created a temp panel.  Moved some of the circuits from the original to temp.  We had to move about 10 of them.  Then I was able to re-host the panel to different location.  Then moved circuits from temp back to original panel. Moving the circuits kept their number and information. Haven't figured out what caused the problem.  To many circuits or to much load?!?  We used other identical panels throughout the project with no issue. 

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 30
abulla
in reply to: mniemeyer

I thought I remembered reading that this was a known bug. I know we've run into it before with no easy fix.

Message 5 of 30
nick_bee
in reply to: mniemeyer

Thanks for the response!  That is exactly what I ended up doing. 

The family we were using for the particular panels in question, are used many times throughout the project.

We were only having the issue with two particular 480/277V panels. 

These particular panels were loaded up pretty heavy with lighting loads. I was also wondering if that was causing the issue.

When I have more time, I am going to play around with the panels that are not allowing me to re-host them by removing some loads.  Will try to update later.

Message 6 of 30
IanY5058

Well here we are in 2012 running 2012 and I have a panel half loaded with light fixtures.

Do I really want to yank them off the panel and recircuit them again because a bug that still hasn't been fixed??

Not really!!!

Any updates to this problem out there???

Thanks.Man Mad

Message 7 of 30
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: IanY5058

This is an issue that has been logged with our Development group who are working to fix the issue. At this time, the workaround you have found is the only workaround we have been able to find so far. We understand that this may not be the preferred workflow, but as I mentioned, we are working to fix the issue. Having said that, we do not yet have any information regarding a timeline when any fix may be released.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 8 of 30
apaupert

I think since hosting has hurt me a few times now, I'm ready to make a series on Non-Hosted Electrical Equipment. Recircuiting stubborn panels is not a good option. Yeah, I won't have the benefit of a panel moving to a arch wall but at least I'll know the panel will be still intact from day to day.

Message 9 of 30
CoreyDaun
in reply to: apaupert

You can create a Reference Plane to host the panel to. The plane can be named and constrained to the wall, but if the wall vanishes, the panel still has a host.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 10 of 30
apaupert
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Isn't that a bad thing to have too many ref planes though?

Message 11 of 30
CoreyDaun

That much I couldn't tell ya. We haven't had any problems as of yet, but then again we haven't had hundreds of Ref. Planes either. We do turn off the Ref. Planes in the Arch Link to keep things cleaner.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 12 of 30
apaupert

I'd prefer your suggested method as it's a good preventative measure and doesn't force me to dumb down the product.

I have the issue today where I want to move one panel to another wall but can't because the "Pick New" is greyed out and it's all locked up similar to the previous posts here. With 156 panels, thats 156 ref planes... Can Chris comment on the amount of ref planes? Is this going to negatively impact the model?

Thanks

Message 13 of 30
apaupert

Actually it will not be 156 ref planes as I'm sure some panels will share ref planes

Message 14 of 30
IanY5058

...better yet, could Autodesk put some concerted effort to fixing this?

Seems like it is a big issue that has been lingering. Electrical gets no respect man! Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 30
ryanlearned

Using 2013 now and this still hasn't been resolved. Possibly because the project was started in 2012?

Message 16 of 30
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ryanlearned

Probably because it just hasn't been addressed. There are a ton of moderate to major issues with this program that are apparently being ignored in development in favor of implementing flashy new features. Don't get me wrong - some of the new features over the past few releases are great, but there are sooo many outstanding issues that date back to day one.

Message 17 of 30
rebmickens

I am using revit 2013 and have had this problem with electrical panels, telephone devices, and receptacle devices.  I end up having to delete my tele/recep devices and re-place them all.  I've found that sometimes the architect will make a change to the wall it was hosted on and then I have the problem.  But has anyone found a solution to the problem yet?  Creating a new panel and recircuiting is a waste of time, especially when you have the panel completely filled.  which is the problem that I have now.

Message 18 of 30
Revit_is_Useless

i just encountered this same issue, for the 400th time... except this time i actually found a solution that worked for me.

i found that if a panel needs to be re-hosted, and the option is grayed out, it needs to be uncircuited from its source. in my case, i was needing to re-host two panels. one panel was sub-feeding the other. my first panel was able to re-host no problem, but the sub-fed panel was unable to be re-hosted, i could only move it along its plane. but as soon as i edit my sub-panels circuit from my being fed from my first panel to being fed from "<None>", i was able to re-host it no problem...then i just moved the circuit back to the first panel.

i hope this helps. i didnt even bother going through the thread to see if some one else found a solution. i apologize if a solution has already been found...

Message 19 of 30
DMaurer-Veca

Thank you for posting your solution. This issue came up for me recently and I recircuted everything. It also seems to be an issue with rehosting if there is conduit connected to the panel.

Diane M
Message 20 of 30

that's what i've done in the past as well, re-circuited every single device. but now knowing i only have to re-cicuit the actual panel rather than every single device connected to it is far less stressful. hopefully this works for the rest of the community. i've only tested with Revit MEP 2013... havent gone back to the previous releases to try it out.

-mig

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report