Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elbows will not connect

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
2915 Views, 16 Replies

Elbows will not connect

I have a problem with tring to connect piping.  When I try to connect it, the program offsets one of the endpoints and cannot connect the elbow.  I first suspected the elbbow family had a misalignment between the graphical and connector points, but I do not think this is the problem.  I have tried, in previous times, reloading the family, but that did not do it.  The family appears OK.  Every single move takes forever and then it is a failure.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried?

1. I find it better to draw with detail level = fine.

2. Make sure the pipes line up in both x and y axis.

3. When connecting, especially, elbows use trim/extend to corner (TR)  It works better than trying to manually connect the pipe to the elbow. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

Pipes are lined up to the best of my knowledge, and any connection method gives the same result.  It definately makes it crooked on it's own

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

Are you using the align too? If not thigs sometimes dont want to work properly. The align tool (AL) is on the Modify tab. Also the trim tool (TR).

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Yes.  I normally draw all these things no problem with various methods of align, trim/extend, routing soilutions, dragging endpoints.  Even right clicking on an endpoint and continuing a pipe (clean draw) will do the same.  3 different elbows.  I checked snaps and I do not believe that has anything to do with it.

Message 6 of 17
CoreyDaun

Is this a fitting that came with Revit or is it a custom or manufacturer's family? If it is the latter, could you post with the family file as an attachment?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

Here are 3 families.  These should been from Revit, 2009.  The project , thru several upgrades, is at 2012 now.  Even the standard pipe elbow seems to move the enpoint, thus knocking the pipe angle, say 45', off.  You can see the end-result in the attached image.  I know this has happened before but I didn't follow it through this far thinking it was a glitch in the project.  Your investigation is appreciated.

Message 8 of 17
Lev97

Have these "elbows" worked in the past? or are they new?

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Lev97

They were in use before.  I have my suspicion that is not the family.  Can't guess what else it could be since I even test it with only 2 newly drawn pipes.  -not connect to the rest of the piping.

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

I seems that only 90' elbows work correctly

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Pipes at at 90' that is

Message 12 of 17
julianjameson8403

From previous experience with sloped plumbing, once you have done your layout, any changes you make run the risk of causing problems you displaying. Revit can use units with up to 9 or 10 decimal places so you have to be careful that when you move pipes around that although you are using 2 decimal places the values may not actually be correct, taking into account the slopes through the fittings.

Although the trim tool is useful generally, it is not so useful on sloped pipe unles you are using it to connect vertical to the head of sloped runs, etc. Therefore I have found that when modelling sloped pipes and you have changes, you have to removed the fitting and the pipe run upstream of the alteration and model the pipe from the end of the retained pipe.

In your example, I would remove the bend and the vertical pipe. Then right click on the end of the diagonal pipe and then model a new run of pipe using the correct slopes, etc.

I would also load in the new 2012 versions of the pipes to see if they work any better.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 13 of 17
Chris.Aquino

During my testing, I see a bunch of errors in teh journals stating that constraints cannot be satified when trying to creat a bend other than 90 degrees for the DMV - Glued family.I woud check the radial dimensions in the family to make sure everything is contratined properly.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Are yoyu saying this particular family in this project has become changed?  I also have reloaded the family, which was from Revit.  -no change

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

It turned out to be a the lookuptablelocation path.  Thanks all for your help

Message 16 of 17
Chris.Aquino

Thank you for updating the forum so that other users may benefit.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 17 of 17
hector_rabell

I had this problem... In the 3D view I had the elbows hiden :I

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report