Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ductwork under a slab

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
SLDBrown
1795 Views, 9 Replies

Ductwork under a slab

Hello,

I am routing ductwork under a concrete slab. I need to make the linework represent itself as hidden. The slab is a linked Architectural Item. My discipline is set to Mechanical. The segment of duct I need to show as hidden is circled in blue.

Is this possible? See attached....

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jrobker
in reply to: SLDBrown

1. Make sure your view range Bottom is 0 and your view depth looks down below the floor.

2. In Manage-->Additional setting-->Linestyles, change <Beyond> to a dashed linestyle.

This is a global effect. Any element that is below the Bottom view range will show as the linestyle you have assigned to <Beyond>.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 10
aksaks
in reply to: Jrobker

You may discover when using the suggested method that none or some of your annotation elements present in the view depth range will be visible. This is because annotation symbolic elements outside of the normal view range are intentonally suppressed. If that did not happen by design then you would have to deal with annotation from other floor levels bleeding into the view. You do have a number of other options available. One method is to use a plan region. Another method is to relegate the under slab elements to their own workspace. Workspaces have a "one checkbox" visibility interface in the Visibility Graphics dialog. That is the unsung power of workspaces, a direct result of how poorly conceived the VG dialog is. You would then create two independent views. One would be the normal view with the under slab workspace not shown and the other would be a similar view with everything but the under slab workspace turned off. Everything means everything. In this "only the under slab view" you VG override to suit how it should look. Being independent that VG setting does not affect any other view. In the normal view by the way the structural and architectural elements would be set to overlay as they have traditionaly always been. The trick involved here is to place both views on your sheet one right over the other. Green alignment lines show up when placing the second view to let you know they are perfectly aligned. Pin them when you are done. Select the under slab view and set its view properties to not have a view title. This basic sheet composition technique allows one to achieve graphic results not possible with standard Revit views. It may accommodate for unforeseen graphical flexibility.
Message 4 of 10
SLDBrown
in reply to: Jrobker

You are awesome beyond words! Thanks!
The process is similar to AutoCAD MEP but much simpler.
Message 5 of 10
SLDBrown
in reply to: aksaks

If all else failed, I was going to attempt something similar to you suggestion. Thank you for your timely reply.
Message 6 of 10
Jes_Gonzalez

Hey guys, I ran into almost the same problem. I followed the directions and It works perfectly for rfa's but when i tried the exact same thing for fabrication parts (ITM's) I wasn't able to achieve the same outcome. The blue in the picture is the rfa and the black are the ITM's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. the 2 horizontal are the exact elevation and the left vertical are below.ITM show beyond issue.JPG

Message 7 of 10
CVDemick
in reply to: Jes_Gonzalez

Bump...Having the same issues here. Has anyone found a way to fix this?

Message 8 of 10
RobDraw
in reply to: CVDemick

Did you read the two posts marked as solutions? They solved the issue for the OP.

If those don't work for you, you might have something else going on and should start a new thread.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 10
CVDemick

I have my settings set up the same as "Jrobker" outlined them. The solution that "aksaks" provided, while a good solution and one we have used in AutoCAD before, is to labor intensive for what I am trying to achieve. I am having the same exact issue with MEP Fabrication Ductwork as "jes.gonzalez" shows and was hoping someone had a solution for that. 

The <Beyond> line style works perfectly with RFA's and Revit items but doesn't have any effect on MEP Fabrication Ductwork.

Message 10 of 10
RobDraw

The OP didn't mention fabrication. You should probably start a new thread with the additional information.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report