Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duct connections are impossible and it should be easy!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
buhrito
2124 Views, 8 Replies

Duct connections are impossible and it should be easy!

These are (2) 36x6 ducts that takeoff from a vertical 36x12 duct. They takeoff over/under each other and then one rises, the other drops, and then they connect to sidewall diffusers at the same elevation. I CANNOT get them to connect to the vertical duct.

(it says I can only have 1 attachment so I wll post another showing wahts happening in section view.)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
buhrito
in reply to: buhrito

Revit goes crazy and tries to make this weird fitting configuration! I am constantly getting this warning that "The duct/pipe has been modified to be in the opposite direction causing the connections to be invalid"

This should be an EASY operation for Revit. What is going on here??
Message 3 of 9
albert.diaz

I had a similar situation. I created a new duct style and changed the preffered connection to tap instead of elbow. Then select the stayle of tap you would like. In this case, I think the take off tap would be best. Change the (2) 36x6 ducts to the tap style duct. Create a section and drag the duct over to the vertical duct and it should create a tap. Hope this works for you.

-Albert
Message 4 of 9
buhrito

So, those types of things are happening constantly. It is a BATTLE every day I sit here and try to creat ductwork. I like a lot of things about Revit but, when I go home after work, I feel like a Spartan who's been in the battle field all day. Thank the creator for beer!

Some more specifics:

I can't draw vertical duct in 3D unless I actually specify the elevation I want it to go to.

When drawing in section, Revit "inverts" the duct size. ie: I'm drawing 10x8 duct off a section of 8x8.. If I do that in section, Revit draws it as 8x10 and then I have to manually switch it. This is realatively minor as I can AT LEAST GET IT TO WORK.

There are just A LOT of connections and scenarios that should be possible but I either get the warning mentioned in my other post, or I get one that says "an auto route solution cannot be found"

It seems to me that it IS NOT POSSIBLE to actually draw a connected system (unless it is ubber simple). We're having to find ways to "fudge it" just so that we can get the ductwork to diplay properly. If we're going to do that, we might as well be using AutoCAD. Seriously, I want Revit to be awesome. Should we just wait a couple years to use it? The architects love it and they are the lead. They expect everyone to share their opinion. I'm ready to go back to just using Revit to cut sections of the Architectural model and then just create the ductwork in AutoCAD.

There are many more things (big and little) but I need to get back to my battle.

Wish me luck.
Message 5 of 9
albert.diaz

I hear you. I been there and I am still there. I am having issues with round duct tee fittings. When they are inserted they look fine, but then the next time I open the file, it looks crappy. I am not sure why this is happening. I started using the Bullhead Transition fitting, then that looked crappy next time I opened it. So I went back changed the fitting to Bullhead and now that one is looking crappy. If you look at the file I have attached, the fittings clouded in red are the crappy ones and they should look like the one clouded in blue. I am not sure what I am going to do. This is a 4 story Hospital and I am just completing the 1st floor.
Message 6 of 9
Jrobker

Sometimes the "Direction of connection" makes a difference.
I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's true.
Try and start your tap at the main rather than to it.
I have tried to figure this out, and every time I do it again, I get different results.
There is no method to Revits madness.
What you are attempting is possible, you just have to try it 70 times and trick it somehow.
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Yeah. You usually can get it to work, but have to try about 10 different things before it actually does what you want it to, especially when trying to justify ducts. Definitely open both the 3D view and the plan view and just keep playing with it. It seems to treat it differently whether you drag the connection point to the other point, or try to "draw ductwork". I've also found that you can sometime make custom fittings by picking an elbow or tee, selecting "edit family", saving it under a different name, drawing what you need and putting the connections as "global" and linking them together, then using that piece. It won't be parametric, but has worked for me for a couple of harder connections.
Message 8 of 9

I keep having the same situation, where the connection CAN BE MADE, it just takes fifteen minutes to figure out the right way to do it. I dont understand how this is acceptable. The CAD guru here seems to think its just fine that it takes that long, as long as it eventually works. I just dont see why we are using revit when we have a perfectly good program in AutoCAD that takes a quarter of the time to complete a drawing. Isn't this something that the people at revit should have fixed on one of these many "upgrades"?!?!?!
Message 9 of 9
Ribbit

I have the same problem. Something in autocad that would take about a day is taking a week or more in Revit. Doesn't seem very efficient to me.

Does anyone have problems with duct offsets (elevations)? Our office uses the x dimension to be the bottom of the duct. Everytime I reopen Revit I have to reset the justification setting for the vertical to be set to the bottom since the default is the middle. When I draw a duct at 10'-6" and the duct is a 24x12, it draws it correctly, but when I click on the duct in plan view, it will then say that the offset is 11'-0". Is there a way to set the justification permanately and to have the duct read the correct elevation? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report