Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duct Fitting Issue

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
brane1012
669 Views, 9 Replies

Duct Fitting Issue

Hello,

I am trying to make a custom tee and I have problem that I can't solve.

When I make a tee from an elbow it works fine (Duct Fitting_1.jpg and Duct Fitting_2.jpg) but when I try to make a tee from the middle of the duct I get an error and I don't know what to do (Duct Fitting_3.jpg an Duct Fitting_4.jpg).

Please help! I have attached pictures and revit family of the duct fitting.

Duct Fitting_1.jpgDuct Fitting_2.jpg

Duct Fitting_3.jpgDuct Fitting_4.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ajax05k
in reply to: brane1012

I think "preferred junction type" in the routing preference is set to tap instead of tee as you want.
You can change it as follows- go to edit type of duct-> routing preference-edit->preferred junction type-> "TEE"
Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 3 of 10
brane1012
in reply to: ajax05k

No, it is set to tee. :S Did you try to use my duct fitting?!

Anyone else any suggestions?!

Message 4 of 10
CoreyDaun

~picks up loupe and inspects Family~

To begin, I'm of the electrical discipline so my expertise it not quite up to par in this category. Anyway, I was comparing your Family to the default OOTB Tee and I did not see what could be causing that error.

Also, I had loaded your Family into my test Project and create a separate Duct Type for it. I was using the stardard Rectangular Duct and remove the "Tee" Preference (set it to "none") and for whatever reason, Revit uses your Family correctly. I'll keep investigating this if I get some more time to do so.

Smiley Frustrated

BTW - Welcome to the Discussion Groups!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 10
ajax05k

Go to the edit family of the duct fitting in the Properties pallet change the the "Part type" to TEE (If its already TEE change it to something else, load it, then again change it to TEE and then load it again) then in the routing preference set it to tee if not already done.
Message 6 of 10
brane1012
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yeah, this thing really works. Did you find out why is that so?!
Message 7 of 10
brane1012
in reply to: ajax05k

I don't get it. I am trying to do that and it doesn't work. Can you print screen and make a quick tutorial from it?!
Message 8 of 10
CoreyDaun

I have looked into this further, I think that this may be caused by the orientation of the geometry in the Family Editor AND/OR the placement order of the Duct Connectors (compared to the OOTB Duct Fitting Family). Originally, I started a new Duct Tee Family and built it haphazardly and encountered the exact same errors you did. However, I went back this morning and create another one a bit more carefully, matching the orientation and the placement order (below) of the Connectors, and my Fitting worked. In lieu of dissecting this Family to find the cause, see if you can recreate it based off of the way the OOTB Duct Tee is designed.

linked

DC #1 (Pri) <---------> DC #2

─────────┬────────

│

│

│

│

DC #3

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 9 of 10
ajax05k

sorry I can't, I am busy now-a-days try the steps one more time
Message 10 of 10
bwright

I looked at your fitting I believe it's one of two things and not easy to correct or at least would take time. 

1. your fitting needs to be rotated 90 deg counter clockwise. Also make sure primary connected is at 9 o'clock position as primary connectors should be placed on the X plane. Obviously to correct this will require a rebuild so save as on this one and try another. 

if this does not work try

2. all tees are built with sweeps and not one extrusion. not sure if this could be the issue, I have personally never built a tee without using sweeps, so you might want to look into that. 

As for the changing of the part type this did not work. If it worked for the other posted encourage him to post the fixed tee. 

good luck. 

Bill Wright

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report