Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download to vulcan plasma table

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
4039 Views, 4 Replies

Download to vulcan plasma table

Is it possible to download to a plasma table? We are contemplating converting to Revit at the request of a recurring customer. We are currently using cadpipe with navisworks as collision checking.

Also, What type of hardware is recommended for efficient operation? I realize the what the system requirements are. Will Revit actually work well at the requirement level or slightly above?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Jrobker
in reply to: Anonymous

What type of file do you export to the plasma table? DXF?
If so... risky. I wouldn't trust an export from RVT to DWG or DXF, especially to a plasma cutter.

You can do collision detection with Revit-->Interference Check.

Whatever the minimum specs are...quadruple them.
Revit currently is in the works to utilize multiple cores.
High end graphics cards aren't too important unless rendering.
8G ram-->good 16G ram-->better

There are many post of discussions about system hardware.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7ADSA_en&ei=qSDWS4WrKpStrAextND3Dg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAUQBSgA&q=system+requirements+for+revit&spell=1

As the software annually upgrades more and more CPU power is necessary to facilitate.
I would be on the safe side and prepare for it.
This would be wiser than upgrading your hardware every time there is a release (which has been typical so far).
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

I work for a company called, EastCoast CAD/CAM. We’re part of the HVAC and mechanical CAD and CAM software tool industry. We support sheet metal, piping and plumbing contractors with MEP software solutions.

Over the better part of the past four years we've been building MEP content and embedding our fabrication capabilities inside of Autodesk’s MEP Engineering platforms. Our current AutoCAD MEP Fabrication solution is gaining traction as more detailers and contractors are standardizing on how interoperable we are inside of AutoCAD MEP. EastCoast is built on open standards with a fully transparent and open interface. Our intention is to work jointly, alongside other Best Practice Software Solutions from Autodesk and other forward thinking BIM-based companies. Additionally, and insuring data sustainability, EastCoast’s MEP content is managed via an platform-independent industry-standard SQL Server database. If you are curious and don't mind digging a bit, you’ll find thirty-six (36) EastCoast duct objects bundled inside Revit MEP (search for duct objects with a “.dtl” file extension.)

EastCoast has been working closely with Autodesk over the past year to build a tool to address the "use case" of taking a model from Revit MEP through to fabrication - "without redrawing." This tool would be a good fit for firms wanting to take advantage of staying BIM compliant, designing and modeling in Revit MEP and going to fabrication without redrawing. We plan to release the beta this coming, June 2010. For the process to work, Duct that was drawn in Revit MEP must be part of a "Connected System."

In reference to the downloading to CNC plasma tables, our current CAD and CAM solutions support most industry CNC tables including the Lockformer table you referenced above. We have also built but have not yet released a download from AutoCAD MEP via a Vulcan CAM tool to a Lockformer table. An important point to make is that with this Revit MEP Fabrication beta release there will be a way to bring your model through to your CNC tables.

To get the most out of your CAD Fabrication for AutoCAD MEP platform we recommend:
Windows 7 64 bit, minimum 8G RAM
Nvibia Qadro FX 1700 or better (min. 512 card memory)
3 GHz dual core processor or better

NHDaveQ

Dave Quigley
EastCoast CAD/CAM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Yes, SysQue.com provides the Revit MEP families that donwload to Vulcan and CAMduct as part of the service. 
http://youtu.be/kbCLhdACGwQ?t=2m31s

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hello Dave,
I have a question for you, I hope you can help me. 
Can I use AutoCAD MEP with CADPipe for fabrication? How can I get from the drafter directly to the plasma machine without redrawing everything again?

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report