Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Section Far Clip Offset

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
chrissumner
2621 Views, 8 Replies

Display Section Far Clip Offset

When producing coordinated services drawings for the contractor we often have to produce sections to prove coordination. We all know that the section only sees up to the extent of the far clip offset but since the far clip offset is only visible when the section is selected it is sometimes difficult for the contractor to understand how far the section looks. We regularly get comments back asking how far the section looks. I can manually indicate the extent of the section using detail linework but it would be very useful if we could set the far clip offset to be visible and in plan to lightly shade the area the section covers.

How have other people dealt with this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
VWD-MLM
in reply to: chrissumner

y not use a 3d View created from you section...........it will automatically created the limits of the 2D virew when it makes the 3D Model view..then you can literally give them the fully visual effect for reference......even multiple view directions of it.

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 3 of 9
chrissumner
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Thanks for your response. That is definately an option to help the understanding of the coordination, but the contractor normally wants dimensions to the centre or underside of the pipe / duct / containment so needs the 2D section.

Message 4 of 9
VWD-MLM

Okay, so now I'm a little confused....(not unsual)....1stly it sounded like you were looking for a "Depth" dim, now is sounds like a "vertical" dim.  have you a screen shot to better help elaborate?

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
BDSU 2015, 2016
Message 5 of 9
chrissumner
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Apologies for the confusion. Im sure it was my poor description. I am trying to indicate on plan the depth of the section so the contractor can see what is included in the section more easily. Since Revit will only show the section location as indicated on the attached image 'Coordinated Plan indicating section location' there can be confusion how far the cut line is, indicated in attached image 'Coordinated Plan indicating section location - cut length'.

When a section is selected in Revit you can alter the cut line to change the section view depth but as soon as you click away from the section it is impossible to see the extent of the cut.

I just think it would be a good idea to have the option to show the section view depth as a visibility graphics variable to help clarify if necessary.

I hope this makes more sense.

Message 6 of 9
VWD-MLM

Okay, a little clearer now.....about the only advise I can give is to make a scrn shot of the area once you've activated a section.....that's about all I know to do.  I do agree that it would be nice to be able to have the 'crop region" for the sections show up in plan.  would be very advantageous.

HTH

M

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
BDSU 2015, 2016
Message 7 of 9

I know this is an old post, but I'll add this here for others to see.

You can apply scope boxes to your section marks - the view depth will be visible for all to see, just make sure you uncheck the 'Hide scope boxes' option when printing.

Cheers,

-Matt

Hi chrissumner,

My suggestion is create a series of sections parallel to each other just to satisfy the contractor and to prove to them that all the trades are fully coordinated.

In addition to the section, I think it would be a good idea if you can also provide your coordinated floor plan to the contractor, where the sections are taken. Floor plans that shows all the level of each services (heights from finish floor level), including heights of the arch & struc features of the building, and also sizes of services are clearly indicated so the contractor can easily understand/visualize the drawing even without looking to a section. There are times that section views are not necessarry when you have the complete information in your floor plans. 

Ryan Ortega
MEP BIM Lead
Aurecon Group - Dubai, UAE
www.ryanortega-bimportfolio.com
Message 9 of 9
scott_dakin2
in reply to: CADTripper

You could try sending them an NWD, can see it from any angle they fancy then. 2D is old hat.

It may be possible to use a shared parameter applicable to sections, in which you can set the depth as a Text value, and have this display via the viewport title tag family.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report