Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing Ducts

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Ghost25
1501 Views, 19 Replies

Disappearing Ducts

Hello,

I'm pretty new to using Revit and my co-workers and I have a problem we can't seem find an answer to. We have ductwork drawn under one of our main ducts that's not showing up, hidden or otherwise. The branches leading to/from the 'hidden' duct are showing in plots/printouts but they look like they end and connect to nothing. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Thanks!

Eric
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
timsouza
in reply to: Ghost25

Go to Settings>Mechanical Settings. The top item should be Hidden Lines. Is the line style set to "Mechanical Hidden"? Now go to Settings>LIne Styles and see what a "Mechanical Hidden" line is defined as. It should be line width 1, color black, Hidden 1/16"

Other thing to check is the "View depth" (but it sounds like you can see other ducts at the same depth?). Type in VP, scroll down to View Range. Check that the view range and depth are below your lower duct.
Message 3 of 20
timsouza

Also check that you have the display setting on "Wire frame" (Go to View pull down and see which type of view has a dot next to it). If on shading you won't be able to see thru things.
Message 4 of 20

I think I am having the same problem, as long as I completely understand what you're saying. If a duct is PARTIALLY below another duct, it will still be visible and the parts below the main duct will be hidden. However, if an item (duct, fitting, or anything else) is COMPLETELY below another duct, it will not show up at all. Is this the same problem you are having? Switching to wireframe will make the items visible, but then they are not dashed to show they are below the other duct. I cant seem to figure out how to make this look how i want it to. Any ideas?
Message 5 of 20
mikedegenstein

i am having the same problem as well. when a duct segment is completely under another duct it does not show up. duct fittings and duct accessories still show up. this just must be another unresolved issue.
Message 6 of 20

Your fittings that are completely under a duct show up? If so, there must be a setting that needs to be adjusted because if I have anything (duct, fitting, acc.)under a duct completely, it will not show up. I will do a little research, see what i can find. Edited by: Snomojo23 on Nov 14, 2008 10:27 AM
Message 7 of 20
margaretwiggins

"I cant seem to figure out how to make this look how i want it to."

If you set your view to wireframe you can change the line type to hidden by using the linework tool. The button is right under the paste button. Select the button, set your line type and then select the ducts.
HTH
Message 8 of 20
margaretwiggins

"I cant seem to figure out how to make this look how i want it to."

If you set your view to wireframe you can change the line type to hidden by using the linework tool. The button is right under the paste button. Select the button, set your line type and then select the ducts.
HTH
Message 9 of 20

Thanks for the advice. I went to try your idea but could not get that far because when i drew the ducts/fittings they magically showed up just how I want them to, for no reason whatsoever. This is what drives me nuts more than anything about revit, there are so many things that just arbitrarily work sometimes and dont other times.
Message 10 of 20
pwood

I was having the same problem, this might work for you. We found tha under the setting pulldown, options go to graphics tab and place a check mark in the Use OpenGL hardware accelaration. We also adjusted the video graphics card on the machine to highest video optimization. (I know this sounds vague, but each video card is different). I hope this works!
Message 11 of 20
msoren

My issue is a little different but has some similarities. Where ever I cross a light my duct appears hidden. the only solution that I found was to change from hidden line to wire frame but then I have the same issue of not showing hidden line where the ducts cross at different elevations. I've attached a screen shot for clarification.
Message 12 of 20
abulla

You're using a ceiling plan instead of a floor plan, so it's looking up from the floor. Switch to a floor plan and it should be fine.
Message 13 of 20
msoren

If I do that the ceiling grid goes away and the duct still appears hidden.
Never mind I think I know what you are talking about. You have to be in a floor plan and then have the underlay orientation set to the reflected ceiling plan so the grid will show up. the only thing with that is you cannot attach ceiling based components in this view. but at least it appears to work. Edited by: msoren on Feb 10, 2009 3:38 PM
Message 14 of 20
lfazio

I am sorry that I do not have any solution to this question, but I am adding a comment here that we are having the same exact problem. -Particular elements are simply not showing up when they should be showing as hidden. The parts are in fact there.

-Autodesk, you need to monitor this board and field these issues. With the amount of time used to this product, disappearing lines is unacceptable.
Message 15 of 20
lfazio

This did not make a difference in ours. Thanks for the sugg.
Message 16 of 20
lfazio

We have found that if the element is in conflict with something, interference, there will be issues with the hidden display. Even if it is connected to something else that has interference.
Message 17 of 20
chika08

My issue with hidden ductwork is that the elbows are not plotting in my demo plans. Any help?

Edited by: gmzochow on May 6, 2009 5:32 PM Edited by: gmzochow on May 6, 2009 5:32 PM
Message 18 of 20
chika08

If the hidden family shows up in your view and not in plotting, plot with Raster Processing toggled on.
Message 19 of 20
tmshackelford

Did you ever find a solutions? Because I am still suffering on this one.
Message 20 of 20
tmshackelford

Did you ever figure out what the magic was. I have the exact same problem. I have noticed that if the duct is long enough, it becomes visible, but increasing its length is not an option for me and it doesn't help with fittings. My only real option is to make the upper duct transparent and change the duct below to hidden. I have a lot of this and darn, it ought to just work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report