Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Duplicate with Detailing & Duplicate as Dependent?

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
auto99
81153 Views, 21 Replies

Difference between Duplicate with Detailing & Duplicate as Dependent?

What is the difference between Duplicate with Detailing & Duplicate as Dependent?
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Jrobker
in reply to: auto99

Duplicate creates a duplicate view with no annotations. (doesn't copy annotations)
Duplicate with detailing creates a duplicate view including the annotations. The annotation after the "create" are independent of each other. (Copies annotations, but doesn't reflect new annotations to copied from view)
Duplicate as dependent creates a dependent view that behaves exactly as the parent view. If you add annotations to the parent, you'll get the annotations on the dependent, and visa versa. You would use this for plans with areas.

It's really a annotation/detail line thing.
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 22
auto99

Thank you for a very helpful explanation
Message 4 of 22
mckinnon5
in reply to: Jrobker

Excellent explanation. Thank you!
Message 5 of 22
brappaport

Emphasis on "and visa versa"  Once you create a dependent view, any changes you make to that view, ie applying a different view template, will change the parent view, so be cautious.

Message 6 of 22
santhosh94.t

What is the use of Duplicate as Dependent

Message 7 of 22
fabiosato
in reply to: santhosh94.t

Hello,

I usually dependent views when I need to split one will into many small views because the whole view does not fit in one sheet at the desired scale, doing so, we guarantee that all dependent views follow the same view settings.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 22
mkellyJ8QJ6
in reply to: fabiosato

If I were to duplicate a view, and make changes to the original floor plan - will the duplicated view also change with the original? or will it not take on any of the new changes? 

Message 9 of 22
iainsavage
in reply to: mkellyJ8QJ6

If you just duplicate the view then no, changes to either the original or new view do not affect each other.

If you duplicate as dependant then yes, changes to either view affect the other. This includes scale, detail level, any annotations, tags etc.

Message 10 of 22
ortalvashdi

i try to coppy with your explain but its not working...why this is happenin?

i mean when i choose duplicate with detailing its still show the change i do in the same view

Message 11 of 22
iainsavage
in reply to: ortalvashdi

Reading this again, I should clarify that my comments at part 9 were meant to relate only to details items such as annotation, detail lines, filled regions etc.

Model elements obviously still exist in the same place in different views and can only be hidden or altered in appearance by use of visibility graphics settings, view filters, override by element etc.

Message 12 of 22
micah

I am trying to duplicate a detail as a dependent so I can repeat the same detail on another subset of our plans. This option is grayed out for me. Why, and how do I achieve a duplicate as a dependent with a detail?

Message 13 of 22
iainsavage
in reply to: micah

Duplicate as dependent is used for overall plans, sections, elevations where, for example, you would have a master floor plan for a whole floor and then dependent views which each cover only a portion of that overall plan.

iainsavage_1-1677273068296.png

The "dependent" part means that if you edit any one of the views then that edit is applied to the master view and the dependent views.

It has nothing to do with drafting/detail views.

For your purposes you should use the duplicate with detailing option which will create several identical views of the same detail:

iainsavage_0-1677272759714.png

Message 14 of 22
micah
in reply to: iainsavage

Thank you. Sounds good, except I would ideally like to have the duplicate
detail be dependent so I could edit one copy and the duplicate would
reflect those changes as well. Seems like it is technically impossible? Or
is this a good idea that could be implemented in a future release?
Message 15 of 22
ToanDN

@micah wrote:
Thank you. Sounds good, except I would ideally like to have the duplicate
detail be dependent so I could edit one copy and the duplicate would
reflect those changes as well. Seems like it is technically impossible? Or
is this a good idea that could be implemented in a future release?

Detail?  Do you mean Drafting view?

Message 16 of 22
micah
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes, I have always done details as drafting views. Is that incorrect?

Message 17 of 22
ToanDN

@micah wrote:

Yes, I have always done details as drafting views. Is that incorrect?

I can't speak for others but I use both detail views and drafting views.  Detail views are project specific where I can show/coordinate detailing with the actual model.  Drafting views are for standard details that can be reused for other projects.

Detail views can be duplicated as dependent.  Drafting views cannot.  if you want to keep the detailing sync among views then consider using detail groups.

Message 18 of 22
iainsavage
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN  schrieb:

Detail views are project specific where I can show/coordinate detailing with the actual model.  

Detail views can be duplicated as dependent.  

Am I wrong in thinking that a Detail View is just a type of callout?

It is not able to be duplicated as dependent?

iainsavage_1-1677278473164.png

Message 19 of 22
ToanDN
in reply to: iainsavage

@iainsavage wrote:

@ToanDN  schrieb:

Detail views are project specific where I can show/coordinate detailing with the actual model.  

Detail views can be duplicated as dependent.  

Am I wrong in thinking that a Detail View is just a type of callout?

It is not able to be duplicated as dependent?

No you are not wrong.  I should have mentioned that call-out views can be created as plan/rcp/section/elevation views instead of true detail views, then they can be duplicated as dependent.

Message 20 of 22
RobDraw

Duplicating details is something that I've always avoided. Why not just have one copy and reference it from other sheets like a typical drawing set?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report