Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Placement Elevation

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
c.era
2764 Views, 9 Replies

Device Placement Elevation

I have created a receptacle family, face base to use with linked industry trade models. Some of the receptacle types anticipate different mounting heights, ie: standard duplex @18", vending receptacle @42".

Here are some details of problems I am encountering, please correct me where I am wrong:

I work on this receptacle in the Floor Plan view and the Elevation view of the family editor. The generic annotation that reflects the 2D receptacle is visible in the Floor Plan view, not the Elevation view. Yet, the Floor Plan view is what shows in Elevation when placed into a project. The receptacle family Elevation view is what shows on the Floor Plan when this family is loaded into a project. If I draw symbolic lines to represent the receptacle in Elevation view they show in the project Floor Plan. However, now I cannot use a filled region to indicate a special receptacle or a switched receptacle. Finally, the Reference Level in my receptacle family shows in the Elevation view and is not related to the default elevation paramenter in the receptacle properties. I can assign different default elevations to different types of receptacles but this is defaulted to the first selected height when loaded into a project. (ie. if the first receptacle I place is the 42" Vending receptacle, when I go to place a standard duplex it will not host at 18", it hosts at 42") Suggestions?

If you need me to expand or clarify anything please let me know,I know this seems a bit convoluted, thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: c.era

When editing/creating a family, the "floor plan" view is named "Ref. Level" and represents the face plane of the future host. Thinking of it as the "floor plan" will lead to confusion. So, when editing your receptacle in this view, you are effectively looking at the wall.

Regarding Generic Annotations: Most categories are programmed to show any embedded annotations and symbolic lines only in plan view, regardless of the element's orientation. You will not get them to show up in any elevation view.

If you drew lines in an elevation view, it would have had to been Model Lines. You cannot import annotations or create Symbol Lines in an elevation view in a family. If your goal is to "draw" so it will show up in an elevation in the project, create and import a Detail Item. Place this in the Ref. Level view and it will always display on the "front" of the element.

Regarding the Default Elevation: I am not certain it will work, but open the family for editing, fill in the desired Default Elevation values for each Type, and the load back into the family. When prompted to overwrite, choose "Overwrite the existing version AND its parameter values."

On a side note, that's a lot crammed into a single post making it a lot of effort to address all the issues. I would recommend breaking something like this up into a couple posts. Just reply back if you need anything else!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 10
c.era
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The Elevation is my primary concern. I have assigned 'default elevation' values to the different receptacles already. It seems that the type that is active when the family is loaded, ie - standard duplex @1'6" or vending@ 3'10" - is now the default height in the project for all placed receptacles of this family. So if I first placed a receptale at 1' 6" all other receptacles of that family will now go in at 1'6". The 'elevation' parameter in a project does not jive with the 'default elevation' parameter in the family, huh?

Message 4 of 10
CoreyDaun

Alright - flawed behavior! Upon testing this behavior, I loaded in a receptacle with two Types - one at 18" and one at 24". Not matter how they were inserted (Create Similar, dragged from Project Browser, etc.), they obeyed their Default Elevation properly. That is, until I entered an elevation value while placing a component. That seems to initiate some sort of override, which then makes Default Elevation useless. I discovered that this override is reset if you use the Create Similar command once (you don't even have to place an element), which will restore this back to proper functionality.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 10
c.era

This was odd for me. If I create similar, this seems to reset the default elevation like you said. What you are saying is that I need to drag and drop as opposed to insert via the Home tab? It seems that is what does not work. However, this has solved my issue as long as I drag and drop! Thank you.

Message 6 of 10
CoreyDaun

You should be able to insert from the Home Tab as well. I found that using the Type Selector while placing a component also "turns off" this override.

Message 7 of 10
c.era

I am not able to do this through the Home tab. Inserting a device this way makes the associated elevation the default. I can only drag and drop. Feel free to give this a try, I attached it. If you can insert via the home tab and get different elevations please let me know.

Message 8 of 10
CoreyDaun

Functions as it should from the Home Tab. I inserted a 'Tamper Resistant' (1'-8"). Then I inserted 'Above Counter Near Sink' (3'-10"). No problems.

Message 9 of 10
nmulder34

Similar to the posts above, I have a receptacle with several types that determine mounting height. When I insert a new instance of the types all is well. However, there is one level of functionality I cannot figure out how to add: Selecting a receptacle that has already been placed, change type, and have the mounting height change with it. The default elevation is the elevation when inserted. However, if the type is changed, the elevation does not change automatically. For instance, the standard type inserts at 1' 6". If I select it and change type to 'Above Counter', my label flexes, but the elevation does not (inserting 'Above Counter' type inserts at 4'). 

Please let me know if I am missing something. Thanks in advance!

Message 10 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: nmulder34

The trouble is that "Elevation" is an Instance Parameter and the Family can only define a Default Elevation. This default value is applied only to newly placed elements.

If you want to have the Type define an element's Elevation, you can set all of the Default Elevation Values to 0 for all Types, and ensure that they are all at 0 Elevation in the Project. Then, within the Family, you would have to create a Type Parameter and Constraint to control the offset of the device within the Family. If this Parameter is Shared, then it also makes it easy to tag the device's Elevation height if need be, since that is normally not possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report