Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting extra parameters from a family

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
NicholasWard
35827 Views, 5 Replies

Deleting extra parameters from a family

I've been making a family of air outlet plenums. While doing so, there were a couple of parameters that I created through the <Add Parameter...> option when choosing labels for dimensions. Earlier in the process, I created a couple of these parameters that it turned out I didn't need later on. Is there any way of deleting the extra parameters?

Edit: For that matter, does anyone know how to have values in the family calculated from a parameter, rather than equal to it? Ie. There are four ducts into the plenum. I would like to be able to set a parameter for the unit's total airflow, and have each duct's airflow automatically equal a quarter of the total.

You need to look at the Family Types part of the family editor. This is accessed by selecting the bottom button on the Properties portion of the "Home" Ribbon.

Here you can add/remove/modify parameters and you can in formulas to the parameters. For your plenum query you could add a "No. of Connections" parameter  and a "Connection Flowrate" parameter to the family. On each connector you apply the "Connection Flowrate" parameter, whose value would be derived by a formula dividing the terminals total flowrate byt he number of connections.

One key thing you will need to decide is whether the parameters are Instance or Type.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 6

Cheers. Thought that wasn't working for a bit but turns out I set up the connection flow parameter the wrong way. All good now!

Thank you 'julianjameson8403' for your reply, it has also helped me as I learn Revit and crating family objects for the first time, especially since Autodesk's own help guide only tells users how to create parameters and not how to edit, rename or remove them.

I also just wanted to make an update to your answer in order to help others:

In the most recent versions of Revit, when creating a Family object (a .rfa file) the "Home" ribbon button is now called "Create".

Thanks again 'julianjameson8403'

Message 5 of 6
niniasprer
in reply to: NicholasWard

image.png

im not sure if i understan your question.hehe but maybe you try to open the properties then click the parameter you want to delete and just click the delete on the lower portion..

Message 6 of 6
blove
in reply to: NicholasWard

Very useful tip! It took me ages to find this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report