Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Construction Type R and U values

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
bwk-jsinger
3189 Views, 11 Replies

Custom Construction Type R and U values

How do we create custom construction types to specify u and r values?  This is driving my nuts.  I have to find a number that's "close" but this isnt working out the best.

Ideas?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: bwk-jsinger

Find the file "Constructions.xml" within the directory "...\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit MEP 2012\Program\" assuming, of course, you're using RMEP 2012. Open the file in a program that can read it, such as Microsoft Excel, and then you should be able to add to, edit, and change these values as you see fit.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
bwk-jsinger

I get the error, "Cannot save or export XML data.  The XML maps in this workbook are not exportable."

So what's next?

Message 4 of 12
CoreyDaun

I opened it in Microsoft Excel 2007 and then did SaveAs, setting the "Save as type" to "XML Spreadsheet 2003 (*.xml)". That got around the error. Be sure to save a backup of the original .xml file JIC.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 12
bwk-jsinger
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Did that and added an entry.  I am now getting blank lines in the building construction type menu on revit.  Ideas?

Message 6 of 12
CoreyDaun

OK, this should work: Rename the file and change extension to a .txt file. Copy the section of text (highlighted below), Paste it to create a new entry.

Change the information between the declarations (i.e. <name> XXX </name>). Rename and change extension back to .xml.

Constructions.JPG

Message 7 of 12

Have you tried using either notepad++ or xml notepad? You can download these for free from the internet and can make xml editing easier.

When editing are you abiding by the naming conventions of the constructions and their xml format? From memory I think there is a link between the naming convention of the constructions and the Ashrae guides DOE2.

Check out the gbXML schema explanations in the wiki, both the entry on the constructions xml file as well as the reference section on gbXML generally. I have found you have to be precise in the syntax of gbXML to get it to work properly, especially in the Revit environment.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/3251-Referenc3251/3288-Heating_3288...

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/3251-Referenc3251/3325-gbXML_Sc3325

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 8 of 12
bwk-jsinger

Ok, so it looks like Notepad++ works well.

Now, I created an entry, and checked to see if it worked.  It's listing the wrong u-value (different than the one I write in the code).  Here is the code (with the first entry being the one of copied from to make the custom).

Should I have different "id" values?  Where do these values reside?  Is this where it truly pulls the u value from? 

<Construction id="con-w339" surfaceType="ExteriorWall">
<Name>Plasterboard, concrete block, air, concrete block, plasterboard</Name>
<Description>1/2 in (12 mm) plasterboard on battens, 4 in (100 mm) lightweight aggregate concrete block, 3 in (75 mm) airspace, 4 in (100 mm) lightweight aggregate concrete block, 1/2 in (12 mm) plasterboard on battens [Source: CIBSE] </Description>
<LayerId layerIdRef="lay-w339"/>
<U-value unit="WPerSquareMeterK">0.62</U-value>
</Construction>
<Construction id="con-w339" surfaceType="ExteriorWall">
<Name>Face brick, masonry mat, poly insulation, densglass, metal stud, gyp board</Name>
<Description>Brick veneer, 1" clear masonry mat, 3" poly insulation, vapor barrier, 5/8" type X densglass, 6" metal stud, 5/8" gyp board [Source: CIBSE] </Description>
<LayerId layerIdRef="lay-w339"/>
<U-value unit="WPerSquareMeterK">0.0508389</U-value>
</Construction>

Message 9 of 12
bwk-jsinger

Moreover, I tried creating new con-XXX groups and lay-XXX and mat-XXX groups and then using the meter length and conductivity to calculate the u value, and it didn't work.

Message 10 of 12
CoreyDaun

I'm finding very little information on this topic, but here is a link with some instructional info. I don't think I can help much more beyond this...

Message 11 of 12
j.harter

I notice "Revit" does not include such superfluous data as SHGC, VLT, R value in its section for doors in the Constructions.xml file?

It does include SHGC, VLT, U for windows, but seeing as how a pair of glass doors can easily be as large or larger than a window, how the **bleep** does that make any sense???

Ive been told that you cant include SHGC or VLT in a door category for that file.

Is there any insight to this?

Thanks

Message 12 of 12
MichaelJ25

The Construction ID and Layer ID for an entry must match each other but two entries cannot have the same ID.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report