Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved Conduit Issues

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
AnmarieJames8335
5014 Views, 9 Replies

Curved Conduit Issues

I'm attempting to draw electrical as-builts and am currently working on underground conduit. I'm using OOTB RNC Sch 40 with Conduit Elbow - Plain End - PVC Standard. oh, Revit MEP2012.

Looking at this photo, you will see my issue. The conduit has been heated and curved, which of course is tricky to duplicate in Revit. (although Revit often gets ME heated...but I digress)  In this example, I need a large radius bend - like 8'R - to simulate this condition. And did I mention it slopes down from the wall to edge of the photo?  It's cases like this that make me wish I could draw conduit in sketch mode, but the slope issue would complicate that process, too.

I found the CVS file for the elbow, and was trying to figure out how to add another (larger) one to the list. (even though I know Revit won't create two elbows or bends without a straight segment in between)  But there seems to be only 1 elbow option for each conduit diameter. I need adjustable bend radii (or more than one bend, I guess) for 4" RNC. No idea how to go about that, if it's even possible.

So, what are my options here? Surely someone else has had this issue before me. What are the work-arounds?

AJ

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
asommer
in reply to: AnmarieJames8335

Wow...  Sloped conduits, Multiple Radius'd bends, Multiple sizes.  I would really re-consider doing all that in Revit.  Is it for some future reference that you need to be so specific on your as-built?

I do see the issue, but you will probably spend more time than worth getting all that to work.  you might use Flex pipe instead, although it is "Piping" and not Conduit.

Message 3 of 10
AnmarieJames8335
in reply to: asommer

Agreed. The purpose for drawing it is simply for as-built conditions. That of course, is most useful when drawn as built, but as far as I can tell, Revit is not capable of that. The electrical contractor I'm doing these for is really trying to be on the cutting edge, and it seems that we've caught up with the limitations of the software. At least with this project, we have actual conduit elements to use, unlike our first project using Revit 2010. Still, especially with electrical it seems, there is plenty of room for improvement.
Message 4 of 10
asommer
in reply to: AnmarieJames8335

Yeah, the conduit is tricky for some reason.  I don't know why these are so different than piping, other than what it is carrying.  Good Luck with it, I wish I could help more.  Let me know when you get to the MECH, that's my expertise.

Message 5 of 10
AnmarieJames8335
in reply to: asommer

Thanks, I will! Anmarie
Message 6 of 10

If I had to do this, I'd draw a detail line using the spline tool.  Once I got the path as close as your going to be able to mimic the actual installation, then I'd just draw a single conduit following the spline.  You'll end up with straight sections and elbows.  You can select the elbow and the radius dimension should show.  Just select it and change it to something bigger like 120" or 240".  Each elbow's radius can be changed by individually selecting it.  You'll have to play with it until you get the desired shape.  Then I'd use the parallel conduit feature that came from 2012 on to draw the rest. Don't forget when using it, to use the TAB before you apply the parallel versions.  The TAB selection grabs the entire raceway path, not just a segment.

Once I have all the parallel conduit drawn in plan view, I'd draw a section to the side and then use the rotate command to get the slope I need.  I'll attach a file for reference.

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 10
tkendrick
in reply to: markmcmicheal

Wow, now that is some impressive work. Nice example.

Do you have any advice on creating rolling offsets with specific bend angles? The nice thing about AutoCAD is the MEP Compass, and you could limit your bends to certain angles. I haven't noticed any thing similar in Revit. The auto-routing will draw a rolled offset, but you have no control over the angle of the bends.

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 8 of 10

I'm not sure what you mean in your reply by rolled offsets, but take a look at the attached file as I go through creating offsets at odd angles and also how to draw an elbow with a kick in it.  Hopefully, you'll find this useful as drawing conduit can be challenging at first until you find some tricks that work for you.

Lastly, if you use conduit without elbows you can get the total conduit length by making a schedule.  Just select a segment, TAB to make it select the entire conduit, then add a descriptor in the "Comment" field in the properties pallete. Then when you make your conduit run table, jsut add the "Comment" parameter to the table and then you'll know the lengths of each conduit.  Comes in really handy for cost estimating, and other engineering calculations that rely on distance.

Message 9 of 10
tkendrick
in reply to: markmcmicheal

Thanks for that example too. I wouldn't have thought to cut the section along the angle I needed, nor used a reference

plane to trace along. I'll definitely find use for these.

Rolled offset refers to an offset that is not perdendicular or parallel to X or Y (or Z). You have 1 conduit at elevation 10' and another at 12' and they are also 1' apart along the horizon, so they are running parallel. So you simply put one offset, which is rolled.

Just tested it, by creating the Section view at the angle between the end of the two conduits I want to connect, and drawing in the section view, I was able to connect the 2 conduits with the auto-routing. And the result was what I would call a rolled offset. I think you had one in your example PDF.

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 10 of 10
tim.west
in reply to: tkendrick

You can limit the angles of auto routing in 'Electrical settings' (3rd from top) to increments of an angle or a list of permitted angles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report