Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a "Smart" North Arrow

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tim102289
1953 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a "Smart" North Arrow

I have created a custom North Arrow in the Generic Annotations family that I based off of the default North Arrow 1.  I was wondering if there was a way to make this point in the the True North direction.  I was surprised to find that this was not already a built-in feature of the North Arrow family since True North and Project North are options to set in Revit.

Tim Smith
IT Manager, Mechanical Engineer  |  Motz Engineering

“There is nothing more expensive than hiring cheap engineers.”
Experienced in Revit MEP/AutoCAD/Sketchup | Autodesk BPA Certificate
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tim102289

This is not currently possible in Revit, although I'm sure it has come up in Architectural forums more than once. If you wish, you can use the link below, which is frequently provided by Autodesk personnel 'round here.

Autodesk Product Support

The following link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
tim102289
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Done.  Another question, if I manually rotate the symbol on a drawing, is there a way to make the N, S, E, W letters not rotate, and remain in the correct positions?

Tim Smith

Message 4 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tim102289

Not easily, I don't think. Text never rotates well, anyway, so if it corrected itself it would almost certainly look hideous. I imagine that if one were so inclined, a rotation parameter could be built into the family to control the angle internally, but that would require some nice parametrics to calculate the offsets of the text and the angles of the internal lines. It wouldn't be a simple task, though.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 5
tim102289
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I tried checking the Keep text readable option but that still allows some rotation of the text.  It would be nice if you could lock the text to be horizontal all the time.

Tim Smith

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report