Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a family locked to surface

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1795 Views, 2 Replies

Creating a family locked to surface

I am trying to create a simple family that, once placed on a wall, surface or reference plane, moves with that object. I have tried a few things, and none of them work consistently. Ideally, I would start from a Generic Model family template and end up with a box that moves with the object it is placed against.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

Open the Family and go to Family Category and Parameters. Towards the bottom of that dialog, enable the option "Work Plane-Based" and the disable "Always Vertical". Now, if this element in placed on a surface, it will remain associated with that plane. In order to properly place instances on wall faces using this family, you'll have to place them using Elevation or Section Views. Again, they element will be hosted by and will move with the wall.

If a Family is intended to be mounted to vertical faces only, consider the use of the "Generic Model face based" template, which will give you the option to "Place on Vertical Face" in Plan View. The same associated is applied, so the elements will move with the host.

Welcome to the Discussion Group!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks Corey!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report