Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Families Importing CAD objects

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
308 Views, 1 Reply

Creating Families Importing CAD objects

Hello,

I'm trying to create a family of transformer stands when the design calls for them to be stacked over each other. I already have the stands created in CAD format, currently just importing just one stand "75kVA XFMR Stand" as a family.

My question. Is it possible to just import a 45kVA stand, created in CAD, into the XFMR Stand family and modify the visibilty settings between the two, in order to be able to choose between different size stands in the model?

Thank You

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

This can be done through the use of multiple Yes/No Parameters linked to each Import's Visibility Parameter. I would recommend creating a separate Family specifically for the stands which will ultimately be nested into the transformer Family. Below is a walk-through of the Process I have in mind.

1. Is there a non-Text Type parameter in your transformer Family that dictates the transformer's size? If not, I recommend creating a new parameter for Volts (Type Parameter) so the stand Family can determine which Import to display based on the size. If you don't want to add a new Parameter, you will be able to drive the stand family by Length, Width, and Height.

2. Create a new Family and import each of the CAD stands into it; with an origin point the same as the transformer family. They should all be overlapping.

3. In the 'stand' Family, re-create the Parameters referred to in Step 1. (i.e. either Transformer Size [volts] or Length, Width, and Height) Also, create a Yes/No Parameter for each applicable size of stand.

4. Enter a formula value for each Yes/No parameter to determine the correct size Import to display:

If using a Transformer Size parameter, use: = Transformer Size  = X (where 'X' is the appropriate Transformer Size)

If using L, W, H parameters, use: = and( Length = X, Width = Y, Height = Z) (Where 'XYZ' are the appropriate dimensions.)

5. Select each Import and you'll see a little gray box to the right of Visibility under Properties. Click that and select the corresponding Yes/No Parameter from the following list.

6. Load this Family into the transformer Family and place once instance in the appropriate location. Select the Nested Family, and just like Step 5, link the Transformer Size or the Length, Width, and Height Parameters to the appropriate Parameter(s) in the host family.

7. Create a "Use Transformer Stand" Parameter (Yes/No, Instance) in the host Family, and uncheck it in each Type (to set "off" as the default setting). Select the nested Family and follow the above step again to link its Visibility to this Parameter.

This should provide you with a decent means of automating the stand size.

...But, perhaps it may be easier to just model the stand in Revit. Smiley Wink

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report