Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating / Editing family

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
%4seasons%
313 Views, 5 Replies

Creating / Editing family

I am creating a family with instance parameter (diameter). I want to restrict to standard sizes so I want if possible to put a formula to create a drop down list within properties pallete whweneevr this item is selected (please see attached).

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: %4seasons%

In order to achieve a pull-down list, the variable sized component would have to be a nested Family, in which the permitted sizes would be defined by different Types. In the host Family, create a <Family Type> Parameter and then select the proper Category from the following list. Note the Value of this parameter: insert an instance of the nested Family of this Type, and then select the element. Under Properties, you'll see a parameter called "Label", which is a pull-down list. From that list, choose the Parameter that you create with these steps.

This will create a pull-down option to control the diameter. If you need any more assistance or have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
%4seasons%
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Please see the following steps I did in the host Family which it doesn't work.

1.I imported a Family Type (3 family types which only renamed as a, b & c - you can see it from the attached screenshot). So all the parameters are the same.

2. I created a Family Type Instance Parameter called "diameter."

3. I inserted the 3 Family Type (which I importedin step 1) into the host family.

I can see the "Label" parameter within the properties pallete when I select an element but no Parameter within the drop down (please see attached sreenshot).

Is the parameter that I want to see within the drop down needs to be a Type or Instance Parameter (not sure if this cause any difference)?

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

I have attached an example Family (Revit 2013). The shape of this Family is controlled via pull-down list once loaded into a Project.

ben_hmac wrote:

"1.I imported a Family Type (3 family types which only renamed as a, b & c - you can see it from the attached screenshot). So all the parameters are the same.

2. I created a Family Type Instance Parameter called "diameter."

3. I inserted the 3 Family Type (which I importedin step 1) into the host family."

For step #3, you only have to insert one of the Types, not all three. Once the Label is established, that element will change Types based on the <Family Type...> Parameter value.

ben_hmac wrote:

"I can see the "Label" parameter within the properties pallete when I select an element but no Parameter within the drop down (please see attached sreenshot)."

What is the Category of the nested Family? When the <Family Type...> Parameter was created, did you choose that Category in the following prompt.

ben_hmac wrote:

"Is the parameter that I want to see within the drop down needs to be a Type or Instance Parameter (not sure if this cause any difference)?"

The Parameter that directly controls the geometry must be a Type Parameter, since it will be the Type that dictates the size. The <Family Type...> Parameter, however, can be either a Type Parameter or an Instance Parameter.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
%4seasons%
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I have now the diameter under the drop down which I can control the diameter upon insertion into the project. However, the issue I have is the duct connector. How can I create a connector to all types if I can only insert one type in the host family (although I can insert all the types and create duct connector to each but when you insert on the a project you can asee all the types).

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun

The Connector will be a problem. This method relies on a nested Family but, unfortunately, Revit will not recognize the a Connector from a nested Family in a Project. Due to this, I don't believe that you can control the size of the Connector with a pull-down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report