Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt Element Making it Impossible to Open Local or Central File

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cheese_sdc
1291 Views, 6 Replies

Corrupt Element Making it Impossible to Open Local or Central File

When anyone in our office attempts to open their local file for the project we get an error "Element 163343 became corrupt at some time before this session. To continue with this project, save a recovery file.  In the recovery file, Revit will delete this element to fix the problem."

Upon making a recovery file, Revit force closes (we've downloaded all service packs, so that's not the issue). 

We then re-start Revit and try to open the recovery file and the data is still corrupt.

We can't open the central file to attempt to remake our local files.

We're stuck on this and can't work on the project (of course a deadline is fast approaching).

Help?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: cheese_sdc

Can you open the Central File with the option "Detach from Central"? Also, what version of Revit are you using?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
cheese_sdc
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I haven't tried that yet.  I did try to open my local file with "Detach from Central" option, and that didn't work either.  Right now, we think there's a corrupt electrical element that's causing the problem.

Turns out our plumbing designer can open her local file, so we're going to get her to re-create the central and see if that works.  The electrical guys are going to lose work, though.

Is there a way to fix this without losing work?  I tried the "audit" option on the central file with no luck.

This project is in Revit MEP 2012.

Message 4 of 7
cheese_sdc

Alright, just tried it, and that didn't work.

Message 5 of 7
CoreyDaun

If one of the users can open her local file, then she should be able to locate and delete that corrupt element, using the "Select by ID" tool on the Manage tab. If she can fix this and sync, then the others can create new local files, but I don't think it will fix the element in their local files. I don't know if there's a way to save those corrupt local files, though.

How often do your users synchronize? This should be done relatively often to minimize loss of work to unexpected events like this.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 7
cheese_sdc
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I sync pretty often, but I wasn't working on this project.  I took over this problem b/c I had the spare time, because the powers that be thought it would be funny for me to handle it (because I'm the "office revit hater").  Joke's on me.  🙂

When she's finished working on her current project, I'll attempt to delete the element (although, since she's not having issues, I'm willing to bet that element isn't present on her local file).

Will post again to let y'all know how it went.

Message 7 of 7

When you have worksharing enabled on a project, set the Central file to open with specified worksets. That way you can close all the worksets and should be able to open the project without the corrupt element affecting you as it is not being called upon. Then you can delete by ID number.

Previously I have combined the Detach from Central option combined with the Audit function and although I had a warning, when I opened the dialogue box, I was able to expand the list to select the element and then delete it that way.

Once you get the file fixed, might be worth reviwing the warnings and removing as many as possible.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report